• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Oh goody, a quiz... C1 or C2??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

How would you code this?

• C1

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • C2

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Other???

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is a poll.

So, one of my lads inspected a street cabinet earlier this week and the cover for the neutral is missing on the DNOs head.

This is accessible by normal persons who hold cabinet keys, they are telecoms engineers but may not necessarily be electrically aware.

I have this as a C1.

My reasoning that this is a TT system so there could well be potential difference between the neutral and earth. It's a big metal box PFC of 1kA and an Ra of 74.3 ohms. PEFC of 0.003kA so a nasty nip could be had.

Unfortunately he neglected to get any continuity measurement between neutral and earth.

The customers in house teams says this is a C2. If it was a TNC-S system then I might agree.

What does the mighty collective say?

Oh goody, a quiz... C1 or C2??? IMG_0549 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
So, one of my lads inspected a street cabinet earlier this week and the cover for the neutral is missing on the DNOs head.

This is accessible by normal persons who hold cabinet keys, they are telecoms engineers but may not necessarily be electrically aware.

I have this as a C1.

My reasoning that this is a TT system so there could well be potential difference between the neutral and earth. It's a big metal box PFC of 1kA and an Ra of 74.3 ohms. PEFC of 0.003kA so a nasty nip could be had.

Unfortunately he neglected to get any continuity measurement between neutral and earth.

The customers in house teams says this is a C2. If it was a TNC-S system then I might agree.

What does the mighty collective say?

View attachment 46386
C1

As the neutral conductor is a live conductor essentially what is there is exposed live parts. As you suggest the situation is somewhat more complex with a TN system as this is reliably connected to Earth (however remains by definition a live part - unless it is a PEN conductor as this conventionally is not considered to be a live conductor).

C1 for me as it is classed as a live conductor. Only point maybe is that to get in to the cabinet requires a tool or key? By that reason some may consider it an C2?
That was one of their arguments however any engineer with keys can access it but they may not be electrically aware hence my reasoning for a C1.

This is why we can never have nice things as we never agree.

But this kind of debate is good, there are so many variables with this kind of situation there are so many possibilities and outcomes.

So not a C3 then??? :D

As UKPN has pointed out this is DNO equipment and comes under ESQCR but yet on the model forms in BS7671 on the schedule of inspections we are asked to inspect the DNO equipment for faults and report accordingly.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

There is no doubt that this is covered by BS7671. Only the most irresponsible or lazy electricians would not code this in some way.

My rule is if something needs to happen before it is immediately dangerous then it is a C2.

Reply to Oh goody, a quiz... C1 or C2??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back