Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss OK to T consumer unit for garage off existing SWA to workshop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Msitekkie

Msitekkie Active EF Member

I currently have a 10mm T&E SWA cable (which passes through my garage) serving a small CU in my workshop at the bottom of my garden (200ft). The garage is currently connected to a FCU on the downstairs ring, but I would like to T off the SWA and add another consumer unit in the garage.

First and foremost I would like to confirm this is an acceptable thing to do in principle.

No doubt some of you will be interested in additional parameters, so to flesh things out a bit:
    The SWA is connected to a 40A MCB and 30 mA RCD in a small CU that has been fitted in the meter box (independent of the main house CU). (I appreciate I will need to consider the overall load/diversity for the property.)
    The workshop has a 6A lighting circuit and a 20A Radial. I am proposing to fit the same in the garage.
    Oh I should mention that when the CU was fitted in the workshop an Earth Rod was added outside.

Any guidance/thoughts appreciated as long as someone answers the primary question first.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Is there any "slack" in the SWA where it passes the garage?

• Like Like x 1
  3. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

In principle there is nothing wrong with a submain which feeds two points.
    Your post isn’t too clear as to whether it is SWA or T&E as you mention both?

4. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

No slack needed for a breech/Y joint

5. Msitekkie

Msitekkie Active EF Member

Thanks everyone. I should have said 3 core, but got the answer I needed. :)

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    I take it that you understand from the description of the intallation, that consumption of Electricity is restricted to 13 Amps, as you have taken the feed to the Shed from a fused spur from the downstairs RFC.

7. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    I think the existing garage feed is off the FCU, the existing garden shed feed that is to be intercepted is three core SWA on a 40A MCB with a 30mA RCD.

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Ah yes Rich you are right I missed that, sorry OP, message Pete999 read the bluudy post properly.