• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss OK to T consumer unit for garage off existing SWA to workshop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I currently have a 10mm T&E SWA cable (which passes through my garage) serving a small CU in my workshop at the bottom of my garden (200ft). The garage is currently connected to a FCU on the downstairs ring, but I would like to T off the SWA and add another consumer unit in the garage.

First and foremost I would like to confirm this is an acceptable thing to do in principle.

No doubt some of you will be interested in additional parameters, so to flesh things out a bit:
The SWA is connected to a 40A MCB and 30 mA RCD in a small CU that has been fitted in the meter box (independent of the main house CU). (I appreciate I will need to consider the overall load/diversity for the property.)
The workshop has a 6A lighting circuit and a 20A Radial. I am proposing to fit the same in the garage.
Oh I should mention that when the CU was fitted in the workshop an Earth Rod was added outside.

Any guidance/thoughts appreciated as long as someone answers the primary question first.

In principle there is nothing wrong with a submain which feeds two points.
Your post isn’t too clear as to whether it is SWA or T&E as you mention both?

I currently have a 10mm T&E SWA cable (which passes through my garage) serving a small CU in my workshop at the bottom of my garden (200ft). The garage is currently connected to a FCU on the downstairs ring, but I would like to T off the SWA and add another consumer unit in the garage.

First and foremost I would like to confirm this is an acceptable thing to do in principle.

No doubt some of you will be interested in additional parameters, so to flesh things out a bit:
The SWA is connected to a 40A MCB and 30 mA RCD in a small CU that has been fitted in the meter box (independent of the main house CU). (I appreciate I will need to consider the overall load/diversity for the property.)
The workshop has a 6A lighting circuit and a 20A Radial. I am proposing to fit the same in the garage.
Oh I should mention that when the CU was fitted in the workshop an Earth Rod was added outside.

Any guidance/thoughts appreciated as long as someone answers the primary question first.
I take it that you understand from the description of the intallation, that consumption of Electricity is restricted to 13 Amps, as you have taken the feed to the Shed from a fused spur from the downstairs RFC.

I take it that you understand from the description of the intallation, that consumption of Electricity is restricted to 13 Amps, as you have taken the feed to the Shed from a fused spur from the downstairs RFC.
I think the existing garage feed is off the FCU, the existing garden shed feed that is to be intercepted is three core SWA on a 40A MCB with a 30mA RCD.

I think the existing garage feed is off the FCU, the existing garden shed feed that is to be intercepted is three core SWA on a 40A MCB with a 30mA RCD.
Ah yes Rich you are right I missed that, sorry OP, message Pete999 read the bluudy post properly.

Reply to OK to T consumer unit for garage off existing SWA to workshop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back