Discuss Okay, there's conventional ways of wiring...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sounds like a Friday afternoon full of expletives!
one or two, okay many.

Changing batten and fan in ladies and gent's. Timed extractor fan off light switch, I know i'll use brown for SL and Grey for PL, .....put right. Moves next door put that one right too, oh no the prat did it right this time.

to be honest should have left as was and just swapped them like for like instead led myself a right merry dance.

you live and learn though...

....and then there are the mavericks that use their own.

but please don't swap and change between the two.

Thank you.

better Fridays afternoons have been had.

Ha! I have had best part of a week of that on and off mate. Some old boy that must have spent many Sunday mornings down at bq before unleashing his purchases on his poor house....to be fair it never burnt down, but still.....not yet worked out why there is a 3ft length of what looks like a 6mm blue single core taped into a big mess of errors under the floor! It has multiple 30mA atop more 30mA, bell wire at light fittings, spurs off spurs off spurs off spurs, tns 951 clamp on the sheath...and with so much electrical tape around it any meaningful Ze was out of the question even if it was originally tns.. all good fun!

I've done jobs where I've wired in all sorts of ways, but has always been best for the particular job, stood back at the end and thought "That's going to be fun for the next guy" :)

All compliant and nothing that attention and proper testing won't explain though ;)

Many is the hour I have spent getting into the mind of the previous or original installer, quite fascinating sometimes.
Think this one suffered from schizophrenia.

One fan was wired direct from the terminal block on the batten, so not timed, in 3095Y. No worries in that but he had used black as Live and blue as Neutral. it's not like he'd cut it short there was tons of spare.

I've done jobs where I've wired in all sorts of ways, but has always been best for the particular job, stood back at the end and thought "That's going to be fun for the next guy" :)

All compliant and nothing that attention and proper testing won't explain though ;)
That's why in these cases sleaving identification labelling is important for the next electrician coming along not just for safety but it does refer to maintenance within the regs.

Think this one suffered from schizophrenia.

One fan was wired direct from the terminal block on the batten, so not timed, in 3095Y. No worries in that but he had used black as Live and blue as Neutral. it's not like he'd cut it short there was tons of spare.
As long as it was sleaved.

Reply to Okay, there's conventional ways of wiring...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net