Discuss Old conduit/boxes problem! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Was carrying out an inspection on a property & couldn’t get a ZS reading at a socket. Turns out some idiot decided to remove the old 1G socket & box which was fitted an a metal conduit system. The 16mm conduit by looks off it. They’ve decided to just fit a fast fix box for a 2g socket with the live & neutral singles going straight into box. Now obviously the new back boxes are 20mm knockouts. Is there any kind of reducers or solution to get the conduit to fix to the new boxes?

Was carrying out an inspection on a property & couldn’t get a ZS reading at a socket. Turns out some idiot decided to remove the old 1G socket & box which was fitted an a metal conduit system. The 16mm conduit by looks off it. They’ve decided to just fit a fast fix box for a 2g socket with the live & neutral singles going straight into box. Now obviously the new back boxes are 20mm knockouts. Is there any kind of reducers or solution to get the conduit to fix to the new boxes?
A picture would be handy

Imperial conduit will be either 5/8" or 3/4", usually the latter for socket circuits. Many wholesalers stock 3/4 reducers but 5/8 less so. If the conduit was fitted with a coupler and bush, removing the coupler and replacing with the reducer and lockrings might work, although the connection may not be as secure. A clamp and earth tail on the conduit might be a sensible addition if the mechanical security of the adaptor is questionable.

If you can’t get a good electrical connection to the conduit you may be able to pull in a cpc from the next point on the conduit.
You would of course still need to ensure the mechanical protection of the singles is up to the job.

Imperial conduit will be either 5/8" or 3/4", usually the latter for socket circuits. Many wholesalers stock 3/4 reducers but 5/8 less so. If the conduit was fitted with a coupler and bush, removing the coupler and replacing with the reducer and lockrings might work, although the connection may not be as secure. A clamp and earth tail on the conduit might be a sensible addition if the mechanical security of the adaptor is questionable.

What exactly is it I’m asking for then as I’ve tried explaining it to my local wholesaler & they’re unsure of what I’m needing. Useless!

Have you confirmed the conduit is the cpc?

Yes.

Is there anything on the market like a washer I could use, one that a 3/4” bush (assuming you can still buy these somewhere) that the bush would go through that will push onto the box when it’s tightened?

There’s a type of conduit system (Conlock) that uses push on boxes and couplers with a grub screw to use to tighten.
Apparaently it exceeds the current standard for earth continuity?
They do an adapter (looks like a coupler) which is push fit with grub screw one side and threaded the other side for brass bushes.
They’re using it at THFC.

No, I meant similar to like a penny washer but with a hole in middle that a bush could go through. This would then pull down onto the box when the bush is tightened.

Are you allowed to add a clamp to the conduit with an earth cable attached to it?

Don’t know but it doesn’t sound the best way off doing it.

There’s a type of conduit system (Conlock) that uses push on boxes and couplers with a grub screw to use to tighten.
Apparaently it exceeds the current standard for earth continuity?
They do an adapter (looks like a coupler) which is push fit with grub screw one side and threaded the other side for brass bushes.
They’re using it at THFC.

Got a link?

Below is picture of one of the boxes that is metal that I came across after first post. As you can see, a 19mm bush probably won’t pull conduit tight to the box.

upload_2018-8-22_20-47-24.jpeg

Can anyone link me up to where I can buy these old bushes? Just so I can show my wholesaler exactly what I need. Have had 3 ordered & none were what I’m after!

Reply to Old conduit/boxes problem! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net