Discuss Old Dog New Tricks ... Renovating an old Warehouse in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been asked to rewire an old warehouse and, having had the SWE folk install an isolation switch, I popped in a split CU and have been happily running new cable hither and yon.
However, my C&G Quals were many moons ago and I’ve been fiddling about with telecoms ever since, so my knowledge of wiggly amps is sketchy to say the least (and yes, I do intend to have my work checked by someone registered).
So, if you’ll forgive some numpty questions:
Do the tails to/from the CU need to be crimped?
I’ve been asked to run 10 mm T&E into the CU - the cable won’t fit the punch outs, so can I break out the L/N/E and feed them in separately or do I need to butcher the CU?
Many thanks for any help

Line and neutral should pass through the same hole in any situation. You could get a larger stuffing gland for the 10mm2 or come in through containment. Dont forget you need to maintain the IP rating of the enclosure. As for the tails, no they do not need crimping, but need to be correctly rated for the supply and installation method

Gents, many thanks for your replies. Even the short one.
Murdoch: it’s split, but it sounds like I’ll have to add another and make it dual.
Cprfenom: you get the prize for the most useful answer.
I have no intention of sitting the Part P and then calling myself a sparkie, but I am trying to make as few mistakes as possible so I have fewer to fix come inspection time. Your helpful advice is much appreciated.

Gents, many thanks for your replies. Even the short one.
Murdoch: it’s split, but it sounds like I’ll have to add another and make it dual.
Cprfenom: you get the prize for the most useful answer.
I have no intention of sitting the Part P and then calling myself a sparkie, but I am trying to make as few mistakes as possible so I have fewer to fix come inspection time. Your helpful advice is much appreciated.
Mr Grimm, leave the work to those who know what they are about.

Without sounding rude.....it does come across that you may need some help with the design from an electrician who can come and see the job. Do you know an electrician that could come take a look and give you some advice? My initial thoughts are that twin and earth wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc choice of cable in a warehouse, a split load/dual RCD board would certainly not be my 1st choice of a board in a warehouse. Splitting the cores of the twin and earth and feeding them through seperate holes sounds like a complete bodge and no no if the boards metal. I would seriously consider if your the right person for the job.

Reply to Old Dog New Tricks ... Renovating an old Warehouse in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net