Discuss Old Dorman Smith Distribution Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
anyone got any pics of the old dorman Smith DBs (don’t know if they were the screw in terminal or the Stablok ones)that used to have the exposed bus bars in the bottom right hand corner was trying to show the apprentice earlier but couldn’t find one anywhere

Yes, Dorman Smith have exposed busbars. And the MCBs are upside down in that you pull the levers down to switch on. Lots of them round here still in service.

Not sure, might be able to look tonight. I do have a box of spares, but guess you want to see one assembled.
Yeah was looking to show the apprentice as he couldn’t believe that busbars without flasguards were ever allowed to be exposed inside a DB. I’ll never forget the first time I saw one as a young apprentice the big old 3 phase DB with the 4 busbars in the corner with absolutely no covers other than the hinged door it filled me with dread:coldsweat: we had to drill and bolt tails to the busbar to install a small DB beside to feed sockets for a computer lab in a school. Then we got asked to go back and make flashguards for the board ended up with a massive sheet of Paxoline with the whole cut out for the breakers and the isolator wish I had taken pics the schools gone now so there’s not even an opportunity to go back.

Seen a few of them in the same school as well but they had these big double wide beasts that had an big isolator fed off about 300 mm or so of busbar (with the armour coming in and bolted to it) and similar to the bottom pic on right hand side don’t know if these were specifically made to order but I doubt it...

I don't seem to have any photos accessible due to a change of phone not too long ago, but stantheman posted a couple of boards.

I particularly hate the MCB terminals when used for 2 or more wires, not uncommon to tug one wire and it just pulls out. These boards are definitely not for working live on.

Do you know how to tell the difference between a Type 3 and Type 4 with the Dorman Smith when the writing has disappeared.
If course it’s all in the size of the toggle I believe that the smaller toggles are type 4 and the wider toggles are type 3 but to be perfectly honest it could be the other way round I haven’t clapped eyes on an old Dorman since 2013 except the old Do(o)rman at the pub see him all the time :rolleyes:

I don't seem to have any photos accessible due to a change of phone not too long ago, but stantheman posted a couple of boards.

I particularly hate the MCB terminals when used for 2 or more wires, not uncommon to tug one wire and it just pulls out. These boards are definitely not for working live on.
Seen a few of them in the same school as well but they had these big double wide beasts that had an big isolator fed off about 300 mm or so of busbar (with the armour coming in and bolted to it) and similar to the bottom pic on right hand side don’t know if these were specifically made to order but I doubt it...
anyone else even ever seen one of these I’ll try dig out my apprentice logbook pretty sure I drew a picture of one in there in an entry about safe isolation

If course it’s all in the size of the toggle I believe that the smaller toggles are type 4 and the wider toggles are type 3 but to be perfectly honest it could be the other way round I haven’t clapped eyes on an old Dorman since 2013 except the old Do(o)rman at the pub see him all the time :rolleyes:
That is one way depending on the age of the Type 3. In all cases the Type 4 has ridges either side of the toggle and the Type 3 is smooth.

The DB I’m talking about looks like this excuse the crude drawing just knocked it up right there because I couldn’t find my logbook memory’s a bit fuzzy on the location of the neutral bar whether it was between the breakers above the breakers or below the breakers if anyone has any pics of the real thing it would be appreciated or do you all reckon The had been built specially

image.jpg

Reply to Old Dorman Smith Distribution Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net