Discuss Old equipment still in service in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I'm sure this subject is on a sticky thread somewhere, so apologies.

Got asked to look at a shower that was tripping the MCB as soon as isolator turned on. House is rented, so tenant just wanted advice for a pint.
Took me 2 minutes to tell him to get landlord to have it replaced.

Old equipment still in service IMG_5072.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
I took the cover off, and the manufacturing date was 1991.

I should have photographed the rest of the bathroom.... carpeted floor... carpeted bath side panel!

anyone wants a dig at me, they can wait till I'm dead and buried. then they can dig away as far as the warning tape,
(DANGER. Stroppy Spark below. Do not Disturb on Danger of Being Sworn At). regulation depth 12" above my coffin.

When he replaces that Redring unit,maybe advise the landlord not to expect the level of quality of his existing equipment
Years ago my grand parents had an old Redring shower, can’t remember it’s power rating but I know it was wired in 4mm T&E! So I’m guessing it was around 6kW.
I remember it was a great shower, good flow, temperature adjustment was spot on yet the newer shower we had at home at the time was carp! Trying to get the correct temperature was a nightmare, then when it eventually settled it would go cold!

I think the oldest in service gear I have found have been MEM Kantark wooden and porcelain consumer units. All serving lighting circuits wired in VIR cloth covered singles in original conduit, complete with fused neutrals.

I have removed these from 3 different domestic properties in this area so far

Old equipment still in service {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I think the oldest in service gear I have found have been MEM Kantark wooden and porcelain consumer units. All serving lighting circuits wired in VIR cloth covered singles in original conduit, complete with fused neutrals.

A proper “fuse box”
I often call them that, as if ask the customer where their distribution board or consumer unit is they usually give a vacant look, but ask where the fuse box is, they tell you straight away!

Shame I never took a photo but earlier this year I had to repair a light switch at my aunts house, wooden back box, brass toggle fittings and a bit of paper to level it out.

In my house I ripped out some CSU's that must have been installed in the 50's.

Unfortunately out of my hands now. The site has half a dozen or so lift panels like this and I was surprised this one still functions, the car is tiny and is a squeeze for two people and has a lovely ornate light fitting in it. As you can see it is in installed condition, it is a thing of beauty.

Its a shame as things like this should be preserved a bit like Tel but in his case it'll be vinegar......... ;o))))))

Oldest bit of plant in commercial use under my wing is a motor from 1915-ish so over a century old. We've quite a few bits from the 1930s still in service though. Recently de-commissioned some wiring from 1929, parts of which have not been touched since installation.

Reply to Old equipment still in service in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock