Discuss Old Incoming service cable/head. Does it need replacing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

shaun1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

My brother has just bought a new house, which is to be fully refurbished. The wiring is appaling and barely meets a single reg; current or historical. (no part of either RFC seems to actually be a ring, lighting on 15A 3036 fuse in 1mm, spurs under the carpet etc etc)

All of this will obviously be re done but the service head also looks very old and I think the cable is PILC (see pics)? The only earth seems to be via the gas/water bonds and I cant see any evidence of any earthing point at the supply origin. Before Northern powergrid come out (and then charge if they deem it to be safe) Is this something that should be replaced? And are they likely to provide an earth or will we have to install Rods and make it a proper TT instalation?

Also, it is in a very inconvenient place in the corner of the kitchen (on the external wall). Is there any chance that if it did need to be replaced that they would put it on the outside in a meterbox (perhaps this would be easier for them?)

Thanks

Shaun
26543957_10156954942074838_1146873995_o.jpg 26638107_10156954942224838_956728964_n.jpg

Thanks for the replies. DNO is Northern Powergrid and I noticed that in their fee list it says they charge if they don't find a fault or "fault reported in wrong catagory" whatever that means. So I was just looking for some reassurance that it was something that probably did need replacing.

Might be better off requesting a service head move to start off with. Why have two lots of works carried out when you can have one.

We can live with it in its current location if it will cost a lot to move, the main concern is its current condition. If its fine as it it is it will be left, and if it has to be replaced in that location then it will be, but if relocating it could be done as part of replacing it then that would be an added bonus. It looks like it's in a bit of a state to me (but certainly not as bad as some pictures i've seen on here) so wasnt sure if the DNO would be willing to replace it. But we will enquire as to whether they do a free safety check.

Bit old but probably ok. It looks like a lead sheathed cable, so dno can connect main earth to it. Dno don't always provide earth, but gas and water still have to be bonded.

Your best course initially would be to do an earthing enquiry (as in asking them to provide an earth) and mention that a service alteration may also be required. Going through their call centre will generate an enquiry which they will be obliged to respond to fairly quickly or they may have an online form. Whichever it is they will likely arrange a visit and they will answer all your questions then

When working for ENWL we had these sort of calls fairly frequently. No charge for inspection, and would be upgraded if needed, but moving it would be expensive if it entailed replacing cable, jointing etc.

If you contact them with it described as safety concern as you have just bought house and it appears to have no earth, etc... then you may find them more amiable to coming out for free, as if its reported as possibly dangerous they are obliged to investigate regardless of anything else. you normally find they will do a simple inspection for free. if you want work dong then that will cost.

Reply to Old Incoming service cable/head. Does it need replacing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net