Discuss Old Italian installation methods.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
Below is from a member called townfanjon from the plumbers forum..may be of interest to some members on here

Last week myself and Mrs TFJ caught up with our friends who bought an old nact up Italian farmhouse in the foothills of the Italian Alps. The whole house is wired like this , all exposed twin and earth fixed with metal nails / pins. PMSL , if anybody thinks our sparkie pals might want a laugh please post it over to the darkside. ( i ve no idea how to )

Old Italian installation methods.... IMG_1133.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Old Italian installation methods.... IMG_1134.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
This is NYIF cable, used to be very popular on the continent and was even experimented with in this country on high-rise council blocks.

It is usual practice to fix through the sheathing although this cable is usually direct burial only. Italy must be one of the exceptions that allow surface clipping of this cable.

The slightly stippled plaster coat is just as bad also! Maybe it's a standard rustic approach they have in such places. Either that or maybe there is only one plasterer and one electrician within a 50km radius!

Quite unrelated to knob and tube. It's a regular double-insulated cable, designed to be as thin as possible, with the plastic web that can be cleated through, although often bonded to the wall before plastering. This might actually be a forerunner of NYIF, which I first met in Germany where it's called Stegleitung. It's funny how materials and methods from other places seem so peculiar. They probably laugh their heads off when they find out that the CPC in UK T+E is uninsulated and you have to prat about with bits of sleeving everywhere.

We had a very similar thing in the UK with rubber insulation, IIRC they offered special cleats that nailed through the web but with shoulders that supported the cores. I have a sample although no pics of it to hand, nor can I remember the name of it. Anyone?

Reply to Old Italian installation methods.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock