Discuss Old original period light switches , condition report. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest569

Doing an CR on a very old period property with some very expensive original features. It has been rewired around 10 years ago but they have reused the old original switches, some of which I believe to me 70-80 years old!

A few of the switches are clearly arcing when moved so C1 noted.

What about the others that are (or appear to be) functioning ok?

These switches are pretty special but Im not prepared to put them as acceptable. A basic toggle switch won't cut it in terms of replacing them so bespoke switches likely to cost a few bob.

Replacing them is going to be a real mess/expense.

Thoughts?

Im inclined to have them down as C2.

Why a c1 when they are arcing? Can you see the ARC when you operate the switch?

Do you have any pictures of the exisitng switches so we can see what they are?

He's asking about the ones that aren't arcing though. I still reckon the contact resistance is going to be high. Daz

Remember code 1 means danger to life or property if they are arching bad and showing signs of burning within the switch then i would say you are right with the code 1 but as for the others if they are working fine and all your testing checks out then I can't see a reason to code the others maybe put a note on the report though

all switches arc to some extend its just on older units its more visable

and youve given it a C1 aka danger of death ????

christ almighty , epic fail im afraid

a code C5 is appropriate here. ( C5 = a squirt of switch cleaner, not an electric trike ).

I did not do the test , however my guy has stated when operating the switches they are crackling. Id say thats pretty dangerous...

Anyway, its the ones that appear ok Im concerned with...Should I really be saying an 70-100 year old switch is safe ?

Would appreciate if we could stay on topic with this post for a change ?

Why a c1 when they are arcing? Can you see the ARC when you operate the switch?

Do you have any pictures of the exisitng switches so we can see what they are?

Don't have pics at moment, They are pretty special. The lounge has a 5G switch plate about the size of an A4 Sheet.

ok then , do the job properly and remove each switch and inspect them closely , followed by an insulation resistance test between the live parts and the casing.
at least you can then make an informed assessment on their condition before waving C1's around.

I did not do the test , however my guy has stated when operating the switches they are crackling. Id say thats pretty dangerous...

Anyway, its the ones that appear ok Im concerned with...Should I really be saying an 70-100 year old switch is safe ?

Would appreciate if we could stay on topic with this post for a change ?

Of course you can say a light switch is still in condition. Just because its old doesn't mean its defective. What was the resistance of the contacts of the switch in the closed position?

ok then , do the job properly and remove each switch and inspect them closely , followed by an insulation resistance test between the live parts and the casing.
at least you can then make an informed assessment on their condition before waving C1's around.

Please read the post again, The switches that are crackling ARE C1. The ones that I'm not sure about would be a C3 at worst, so Im not "waving C1s around"

Please read thoroughly....

Seems folk are more interested in slating my posts than trying to help!

Of course you can say a light switch is still in condition. Just because its old doesn't mean its defective. What was the resistance of the contacts of the switch in the closed position?

Yes, it could be fine at the time of testing but due to its age its far more likely to fail in the near future Id say. Would you reuse these switches in a rewire and issue an installation certificate based on good resistance readings at the 100 year old switches?

Lets say something goes on fire and you were the last guy to pass these 100 year old switches as "safe"? Id rather cover my --- and issue a C3.

geordie's nearly 100 and still functional. what's the problem?

Yes, it could be fine at the time of testing but due to its age its far more likely to fail in the near future Id say. Would you reuse these switches in a rewire and issue an installation certificate based on good resistance readings at the 100 year old switches?
Yes, but they're not new so you cannot guarantee them.

The MOT Inspector will issue your car / van with a satisfactory MOT Certificate IF the vehicle tested satisfactory at the time of the test.

If the wheel fell of next week would that be his fault?

Would he be in some way be to blame or be liable for that?

It is what it is at the time of the test.

Lets say something goes on fire and you were the last guy to pass these 100 year old switches as "safe"? Id rather cover my --- and issue a C3.

With that mentallity, every item on a EICR would be a C3 minimum by default.

The MOT Inspector will issue your car / van with a satisfactory MOT Certificate IF the vehicle tested satisfactory at the time of the test.

If the wheel fell of next week would that be his fault?

Would he be in some way be to blame or be liable for that?

It is what it is at the time of the test.

Agreed, but the customer is asking me to then produce a "satisfactory" report following remedial works and upgrades where necessary. So its not a case of doing the report and buggering off.

Reply to Old original period light switches , condition report. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net