Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Old school but needs repairing (possibly) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. chris day

chris day Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Chris peter
    A client of mine has requested that I repair some old MR 16 spotlights which have heat damage cabling around the surrounds.
    I did try to convince the client to upgrade to GU 10 LED however they do not want to do this and they want me to repair the existing lighting system which is fine.
    The existing lighting system has what I can only describe as a centralised transformer system, now the transformers work fine however I don't want to repair something then later find out the client wont ever be able to replace the transformer should they go wrong, so the question is can you still get hold of these transformers .

2. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Pictures are going to be useful here I think. Include any rating plates, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes Mercury Arc Rectifier Trusted Advisor

You can still get pretty much any kind of transformer. If the existing ones are wirewound, and I expect so as most electronic HF ones are limited on wiring length, then they will probably outlast all the fittings anyway. They are more expensive in first cost but provided they are not overloaded or restricted in their cooling, they last almost forever. By comparison electronic types have a finite life even under good conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

upload_2017-12-6_16-13-56.png do you mean these puppy's .

5. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

You've given them the options and they have decided what they want, their problem when it goes tits up.

As you can see my sympathy has run out, I blame it on the time of year...

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

o well nearly xmas ! upload_2017-12-6_16-38-21.png

• Like Like x 1
  7. chris day

chris day Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Chris peter
    Ow yes of course these are the beasts, they are wore wound not HF.

IMG_2700.JPG

8. Lucien Nunes

If they're not overloaded they should outlast the availability of MR16s and 10 sets of LEDs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    A day work job then?

10. GeorgeCooke

GeorgeCooke Active EF Member

This is very confusing.

MR16 refers to the size of the lamp multifaceted reflector in eights of an inch. GU10 refers to the type of base. Most GU10 lamps are in fact MR16s.

Then you talk about transformers so are you actually referring to GU5.3 lamps?

11. Lucien Nunes

It didn't confuse me. Clearly he is talking about changing from ELV (LED or halogen) to LV LED and doing away with the transformers. Or not, in this case, as the client doesn't want to. I would always call an MR16 lamp on a GU5.3 base an MR16; in my field of work (theatre) that would be understood on all continents whereas GU5.3 probably wouldn't, or might be referring to an A-class projection lamp on GU5.3 (such as A1/259) instead of an MR.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    What was the reason they still want to keep halogen as you can get LED with the same colour output.

13. Lucien Nunes

Almost! You can get a reasonable approximation to the colour temperature but the spectrum is different and in some situations the difference in colour rendering is important. I have LED general illumination over my precision electronics bench but my articulated task light is halogen, for this reason.

14. GeorgeCooke

GeorgeCooke Active EF Member

In that case you and the others need educating (and manufacturers also) as MR16 has nothing to do with the base.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Lucien Nunes

We appreciate that MR16 has nothing to do with the base. You will appreciate that the question posed in this thread has nothing to do with it either - it was about transformers!

• Like Like x 2
  16. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I remember at my previous employment some LED GU10 were fitted to can downlights and I had to have a closer look at it as the lamp colour was identical to standard GU10/MR16.