Discuss Old single sockets, unsheathed cpc. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Presto

Hi all, looked at a job today to replace 5 x single sockets to 5 x doubles. Looks like the CCU was changed maybe 4 or 5 years ago but no paperwork - the property has the old wiring in place - red, black and unsheathed cpc. The single sockets are only 4 inches from floor level so i will need to cut new holes in the partition walls and raise the new doubles up to an acceptable height, but maybe not the 450mm as per 17th as customer says too high. With this in mind the cables going into the original single back box need extending at each socket. I'm thinking of soldering or crimping then heatshrink around each individual conductor then further heatshrink around all 3 - is this acceptable?

if the plug flexes are not susceptible to damsge , then you can fit at the same height. the 450mm rule applies only to new -build.

Yes as long as you use the correct crimping tool and crimps. And the 450mm height for sockets is for NEW builds only, so put them where the customer wants them.

- - - Updated - - -

Too quick tel!!

I'm thinking of soldering ?

No Don't do that FFS, use crimps, however you may find you can gain slack on all those old sockets, you only need to gain a few inches so the plug can go in the new twin sockets without the flexies from the plug tops being stressed and damaged as they would become to close to the floor, or install double sockets and have them upside down LOL

If your lucky there could be enough slack to pull up and raise them enough...

If theres not then pack up tools and go home as luck isnt on your side that day. Then try again the day after. Explain all this to the customer of course.

Personally i think 4 inches from the floor looks real bad so i will be going up to around 12 inches from the floor. There is no slack in the existing cables form the floor so i will have to extend the wires end of. I could do it in the old single back box and fit a blanking plate using crimps or choccy block i suppose? Not sure on the going home and coming back next day comment - not much help really :sad3:

If those are the options I'd go for connector block behind a blanking plate, but if you're having a blanking plate there why not just have the socket there?

No Don't do that FFS, use crimps, however you may find you can gain slack on all those old sockets, you only need to gain a few inches so the plug can go in the new twin sockets without the flexies from the plug tops being stressed and damaged as they would become to close to the floor, or install double sockets and have them upside down LOL

Bow locks ............ Crimps are for ------- who have never been taught how to solder properly !!! ;)

Before you start IMO do a few quick tests to make sure you have end to end continuity etc etc if its a ring it might save you a lot of headaches if you do!

It's far too low, looks stupid. Connector block behind blanking plate is probably the way to go. Soldering is second choice then crimps last as they are unreliable. Thanks all.

I would cut out a small piece of floorboard if possible, and use helicon or wagos under the floor, you can then put a nice length of cable in, and dont need to struggle.

Cheers.............Howard

It's far too low, looks stupid. Connector block behind blanking plate is probably the way to go. Soldering is second choice then crimps last as they are unreliable. Thanks all.

Aye it is ......... if you're a second year apprentice refuse disposal operative.

- - - Updated - - -

I would cut out a small piece of floorboard if possible, and use helicon or wagos under the floor, you can then put a nice length of cable in, and dont need to struggle.

Cheers.............Howard

NOW you're talking !!!! :)

If the connection is below the floorboards it won't be accessible when the customer puts laminate flooring down. Yes I know a wago is supposed to be a maintenance free joint but it's not ideal.
If you're going to start pulling floorboards up then why not rewire it to make it a continuous run of cable instead of having 2 joins in it?

If the connection is below the floorboards it won't be accessible when the customer puts laminate flooring down. Yes I know a wago is supposed to be a maintenance free joint but it's not ideal.
If you're going to start pulling floorboards up then why not rewire it to make it a continuous run of cable instead of having 2 joins in it?

No such problem with a properly soldered joint though. ;)

Reply to Old single sockets, unsheathed cpc. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock