Discuss Old style porcelian fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken77

Hi all,

I recently been to an installation where there was an old style porcelian fuse at the service head/cut out. Unlike ones I am familiair with this one was longer and thinner (visually looks more like a nail brush). Are these still suitable for continued service, or should this be replaced?

Thanks

Is it in a cast iron box, also what is the earthing to the box and what is the existing PSCC? If it is cast iron and or the earthing is suspect then the DNO will replace.

tell DNO it's sizzling if you turn the shower on.

In this day of mobile phones with built in cameras would a picture should be a formality

Obviously not. Smart phones unfortunately are telephonic and not telepathic, you still have to remember to take a picture with the camera. The phone may be smart, but there is no guarantee that the user is also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously not. Smart phones unfortunately are telephonic and not telepathic, you still have to remember to take a picture with the camera. The phone may be smart, but there is no guarantee that the user is also.

Its not a moan but my background is give me all the information and i can try and help and this is not a pop at his post but I think we need a Sticky on this that goes along the lines of please supply a picture and all reading taken plus any relivant information. As I have said before yes we are in a mobile phone world but this forum is not limited to 72 letters we are here to help others and each other plus anyone reading this who wants to become an electrician must understand electricity is a serious matter and standards need to be kept as there is no shortcuts in this game because if you do someone could get hurt.

So here is an example a customer called and said his wall lights were not working Ok I said are they on their own switch yes was the reply ok are there any other lights in the area yes another 2 came the reply are they off the same switch i said no came the reply ok are there 2 switches controlling 2 sets of wall lights yes came the reply Ok are they normal switches or dimmer switches they are dimmer switches came the reply Ok did you use energy saving bulbs on the lights that are not working yes I did came the reply well your dimmer switch is faulty I said it will cost you ??? to fix or ??? to fit a 2 gang light switch so you can use energy saving bulbs.

Now this is a member of the public but I managed to tease enough information out of him to diagnose the problem over the phone and he was well impressed when I arrived and it was a faulty dimmer switch so in relation to this forum we are getting a one liner and we are expected to find the problem so again more information please and I say this with any malice

Reply to Old style porcelian fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net