Discuss Old switch gear in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
One I have not seen before no camera unfortunately, cast steel, swing down cover, with a plastic like cover and cartridge fuse holders with spares in clips, going back so will take some pics, was there not a guy on here who collected them and used them on film and TV sets ?
Pict

Oh, is that my cue? I collect old switchgear but it's for our museum 'Electrokinetica', not generally as film props, although I do work in the film business in a different capacity.

If you're talking about a switchfuse type of unit then it could be something like a Memajor / Memrex Senior / Bill Royal / Imperial / English Electric LP etc. All of these cast-iron models had a phase in their production run where both rewireable or HRC carriers were offered, before they were discontinued in favour of the lightweight pressed steel ranges. Trouble is, I can't visualise any of these having slots for spare fuses. If it's a consumer unit that takes BS1361s, then I can sort-of picture some pressed steel types, maybe B.I. did one with a hinge-down front and there might even have been a Memera Mk.1 like that, although none come to mind as having a C/I body.

I will be interested to know what it is!

I have seen some interesting old ones over the years,Ill take some pics if I ever come across anything unusual or even post up to see who wants to have it for the collection,one things for sure some are over 60 years old and still going strong,no talk of melting,arcing crap.Built to last,built in GREAT BRITAIN!

Lucien, I have a job which includes a CU upgrade coming up towards the end of next week, standard old 6 way brown Wylex there but the thing I've never seen before is the Crabtree 60a rated voltage trip but with no test button - that's in a separate enclosure, which the tails go through, I'll take a picture when I go back to the job.

Seymore Butts? Isn't he the guy who does all the CU changes where the cables are jointed with exposed inline crimps?

Reply to Old switch gear in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net