Discuss Old Top Gear in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just sat watching repeats on Dave of all the specials, I really miss Clarkson, hammond & May.
I wish they could have sorted it out before it got to the stage it did !!! such a shame that this programme ended how it did.

I bet the bbc would give anything now to go back to before that event going on the ratings of the new shower.

well, it all boiled down to clarkson punching a producer. 90% of TV producers need punching anyway. they should have sacked the producer instead, but then that would have lead to a golden handshake of ££££££££m and a lifetime pension, so jeremy had to go.

I think if he ONLY punched that guy, and didn't get so many warnings over other things, it perhaps wouldn't have led to this.

A real shame the new one was rubbish.

I know a lot jump in saying he couldn't get away with it but when you watch them back like i am doing now it really was tv gold, the tricks they played on each other was hysterical. they wer basically getting paid a huge amount to behave like children, but I always said good for them. And I think we would be happy with a job like that.

I watched the A-Z of Top Gear again yesterday, notably the bit where Jeremy is sitting in a meeting at the BBC with a load of PC types - a chinese woman, a midget, a Hindu, a woman wearing a hippy hat etc, a disabled man in a wheelchair at one end and Clarkson sat in the Peel P50 at the other. John Bishop (narrating) pointed out that it was like a pilot for BBC comedy W1A; in one scene of one item in an hour long show they came up with something so fresh it could be spun out for 2 series.

It was revolutionary - a 'concorde' project which due to the way it was begrudgingly permitted to evolve from it's original format of a consumer motoring programme akin to the One Show or Watchdog into the exact opposite of what the BBC stand for, I don't see anything like that being produced again.
It was arrogant of the BBC to assume that the success of what the programme had become was due to BBC values (it was the opposite of that) and that they could simply insert a corporation-approved line-up to say the words Clarkson used to say and people would still watch it.

The picture didn't attach properly.

Smallest-Car-in-the-World_3.jpg

Was thinking the same thing the other day while rewatching the one where they made their own ambulances. Even though I knew what was going to happen it still had me in stitches (ie. Jeremy lying in the back of the Porsche attempting the catheter and Hammond launching his patient through the window at the end).

New one just seemed too forced/put on and think no matter what they do it will never be right again.

Can't wait until the Grand Tour starts, until then it's repeats on Dave!

Was thinking the same thing the other day while rewatching the one where they made their own ambulances. Even though I knew what was going to happen it still had me in stitches (ie. Jeremy lying in the back of the Porsche attempting the catheter and Hammond launching his patient through the window at the end).

New one just seemed too forced/put on and think no matter what they do it will never be right again.

Can't wait until the Grand Tour starts, until then it's repeats on Dave!

That is probably one of the funniest episodes they made, I'm actually smiling thinking about it.

That is probably one of the funniest episodes they made, I'm actually smiling thinking about it.
I liked the whole concept - they bought a second hand car, modified it for a task and put their car through a series of challenges. Again it became a bit abstract over the years, starting from actually being good consumer advice on buying used cars to something a bit more entertaining - making a stretch limo out of a Fiat Panda, a train out of caravans, a motorhome resembling a contemporary block of flats with a Japanese contemplation area, modifying the interior of a Mercedes in the style of Anne Hathaway's cottage...

I'm looking forward to the Grand Tour as well, although I don't know if I can justify paying for Amazon Prime.

Yeah the amazon prime bit is annoying but I think I will have to buy it anyway.

I already have Prime so it's not an issue for me. You get quite a lot for your money, it's cheaper than Netflix and your getting access to Prime Video, Prime Music, photo storage and free one day delivery.

@Dan I think it about 80.00 per year, I don't know much about it except according to Amazon my tv isn't compatible which as surprised my with it only being a couple of years old and it's a smart tv /3D etc
There is a list of compatible tvs on their site.
Others should be more clued up about how to get it.

You can get a firestick for £25 every now and again from Amazon. That's a hdmi that you plug in direct. I have Xbox too that has it on I think. Will have to have a look.

Good point ^^^ I have xbox one and ps4 so one of them might run it.

Reply to Old Top Gear in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net