Discuss Old unidare storage heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shane cross

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place but I followed a link here from google I have a bit of a problem working out how to use this storage heater, I'm stumped for a model number but I have included pictures to maybe help?

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

The unit looks like it is a larger central storage heater unit that is designed to distribute the heat to the rest of the house via either a warm air system or by heating water for radiators.
The operational intent would be that overnight during periods of cheap rate power the heat storage block would be heated up to a level of temperature indicated by the input knob, in cold weather the input shoudl be increased in warmer weather the input decreased this avoids storing heat that you will not need the following day (though some of the heat will carry over to the next night).
Normally the fan would be used to increase the rate of heat output if rapid heating were required.
The fan can be on by the left most switch, the middle switch seems to be a fan speed control speed 1 or speed 2.
The right hand switch should be a means of increasing the heat stored by using the more expensive day time energy and would only be used when the stored heat has been used up.

The two switches on the white box are not clear cut as the connections cannot be seen, however I would expect that that the large switch is the main over night heating elements for the storage heater and the small switch is perhaps the day time heating element or possibly a timer control or just day time power to the unit to operate the fans.

The unit is indeed an old Unidare Electicair unit , that sits on a plenum chamber with ducted system below with duct outlets in the rooms , the controls as shown are for heat taken in during off peak times and also the fan boost speed , the thermostat also controls the fan too along with a day boost switch , the duct can be seen at the bottom of the unit , both switches on the isolator have to be in the on position for the supply to it, hope this helps ...

One word of advice , don't mess with the internals as there is usually asbestos in these old heaters

I remember replacing the motor in one of these about 6 years ago, I had it up and running, went to put the lower cover back on but it wasn't going back right. Hmm, bit of pushing later and the bang, flash and blast mark on the lino gave a clue to why the cover wasn't going on properly...:oops::oops:

Richard and R G are right i think i've uploaded a photo with the control again if you could just clarify if im right with understanding it please and thank you for the help.

Heating control.jpg

Richard and R G are right i think i've uploaded a photo with the control again if you could just clarify if im right with understanding it please and thank you for the help.

Left knob is night charge, it will take a bit of trial and error over a few days to find the best position, too low and you'll run out of heat by the end of the day. Set it and leave it alone, during colder weather it will need to be set higher.
2,3 correct, when the fan switch is on, the fan will run when the room thermostat calls for heat. 4 is electric heating during the day, this should be left off normally and only switched on to boost the heat if the stored heat has run out, as it is likely connected to the expensive daytime rate electric supply. I would expect the 2 wall switches that share the same plate will both need to be left on for the heating to work, switch them both off when no heating is required during the summer time.

This is an educated guess working from memory but should be correct!

Last edited:

Reply to Old unidare storage heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net