Discuss Old Wylex DBs no lids. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy C

-
Reaction score
I have been doing some work for a hedgehog charity so funds have been tight.
I have remedied a number of non conformity items as they want an EICR for the landlord.

I am happy with the general condition of the circuits and readings are all within range. A number of C3s have been given, with one being lack of cable support in ceiling areas.

The shop has two Wylex boards one metalclad and one plastic. Neither has a lid for where the original rewirable fuses were as these have been replaced with MCBs of various types. I intend to replace the fuse carriers that have open pin connections to closed ones. Doing this, will it be sufficient to pass as there will still be no lid/cover on either board.

The boards are in a cupboard that is secure and only authorised staff have access to.

I have considered sourcing new lids but they would still need the cover cutting out so the MCBs would fit.

The final option is replacement DBs but I want to avoid the cost if I can.

Thanks for any replies.

I always code these boards if the fuse cover is missing as live parts are accessible to fingers without the use of a tool by partially withdrawing a device or tilting it, try it if you don't believe me. In a domestic where the board is within reach this would be a code 1, in the situation you describe a code 2. I expect others will disagree but ultimately without the cover in place live parts ARE easily accessible. And yes Spin, I know the apparent original function of the cover was to contain molten copper from fuses, but these days access to live parts is more of a danger IMO.
Suitable warning signs/ labelling and access only to competent persons may justify a code 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid charity or not if there is no cover and you have to cut the new cover I would be reccomending a board change, it'll still be your name on the cert if on some off chance someone sticks their hand in, and cutting lids is out of the question for me

Maybe there is some confusion over cutting the lid. The fuse cover on the old wylex boards is designed so that the centre part can be removed/knocked out in order to fit the plug in type mcb's, you are still left with a frame which prevents access to live parts,

Only if the lid is the type with a slotted screw and not the thumbscrew type I suppose ?

I have to admit to eating hotchwitchi,so,i wish i could help out....if only to salve my conscience :rolleyes:

What size boards are these? Any photos and I can take a look in my scrap bin.

Just replaced a whole load of these for the very same reason - accessible live parts

I changed one of the Wylex 3036 the other day, it had a very good condition lid with the thumbscrew - I took that baby home and put it onto my 3036!
That reminds me, I must get a competent electrician around to change that!
Bussmans holiday and all that!

Can you touch any live parts with these fuse cover missing, I used to think the same but the gap is very small around the edge it has to be IP2x and I don't think you can get your finger in to touch the live bus bar. Yes I agree you could touch the live pins when removing fuses , but that is the case with a lot of old boards that are still in service in factory's throughout the land , May be a label saying " warning turn off main switch before removing fuses" may be the answer

Can you touch any live parts with these fuse cover missing, I used to think the same but the gap is very small around the edge it has to be IP2x and I don't think you can get your finger in to touch the live bus bar. Yes I agree you could touch the live pins when removing fuses , but that is the case with a lot of old boards that are still in service in factory's throughout the land , May be a label saying " warning turn off main switch before removing fuses" may be the answer
All you need to do is tilt a fuse and live parts on the fuse itself are finger accessible, there is a warning on these boards to switch off before handling fuses, not good enough to comply with current requirements IMO. Many of these boards are in understairs cupboards with covers missing easily reached by curious kids. It surprises me there are not more electrocutions.

Yes times have changed and we are now more aware of dangers these days so it may be a good idea to advise people of the dangers and what can be done to improve things .
In a domestic environment yes it would be a good idea to recomend replacing such a CU to make it safer, especially has you say if children can easily access it , but in a commercial environment it would be easier to police for example method statements, stating employees are not permited to touch any electrical equipment , I have been to places that don't let employee's change light bulbs or go up steps ladders.Now I know people may ignore these rules but you can't protect people from their own stupidity

Reply to Old Wylex DBs no lids. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock