Discuss Older house loft insulation and cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

HBJ

-
Reaction score
Hi,
Wish to increase loft insulation from 100 to 300mm.
At present lighting and power cables are clipped direct to ceiling joists barely covered by insulation. The depth of insulation planned will cover these cables and I seek a solution. Thanks.

I agree with Alan it would be prudent to get a good sparky in to either check they will be ok or come up with another solution.

Usually OK if there are only lighting cables up there. More concerning if loaded ring final or shower circuits, then the cables might need re-routing clear before more itchy stuff gets laid.
Needs an experienced eye, as suggested above.

Thank you for your replies.
Going for a professional evaluation of cables as there is a mixture of lighting and power circuits. No electric shower though.

Why not just fit rafter insulation board instead, it will keep you loft warm and stop all the boxes off this you put up there from getting damp, have always wondered why we put the itchy stuff down on top off cables down lights lag all pipes when we have the roof that can be insulated .
Hope this make sense

Why not just fit rafter insulation board instead, it will keep you loft warm and stop all the boxes off this you put up there from getting damp, have always wondered why we put the itchy stuff down on top off cables down lights lag all pipes when we have the roof that can be insulated .
Hope this make sense
Can depend on how the roof is constructed. Generally need to have good air circulation to keep it dry. This may have been accomplished with vents at eves and ridge so insulation board in rafters will just have outside air under them.

4" rafters. 3" kingspan with 1" airspace between kingspan and roof felt. sorted.

Reply to Older house loft insulation and cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net