Discuss on call rota questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elsparko

can i be expected to be on call every 2 weeks?

im not provided with a phone for such duties

i only got a retainer fee for the xmas period but doubt this will continue for the rest of the year, ive been googling for some laws on this issue but can find nothing of substance

basically they want me to be available after hours, if im not on a retainer fee i can shirley just refuse?

fair to say there will be some renegotiation this coming week as ive taken on alot more responsiblities than i was contracted for, i was told there would be no overtime but supervisor got the dunt and ive now become golden boy

would asking for 18 an hour be too cheeky? bare in mind im still to sit my FICA in next few months

and also is after 11 counted as night work? would out of hours only cover up to 11pm?

im pretty hazy on business law as ive usually just got on with my work but now my time in the evening i want to be mine.

What on earth is that important as to need someone on call at three in the morning?

If it's that important it deserves a shift pattern that covers the requirement but we all know some shiny suited gobshite cut the night shift 'cos savings init'

What on earth is that important as to need someone on call at three in the morning?

If it's that important it deserves a shift pattern that covers the requirement but we all know some shiny suited gobshite cut the night shift 'cos savings init'

Company’s that operate 24/7 would deem it very important that they have a service 24/7 in case needed to repair mechanical or electric faults that’s what

Company’s that operate 24/7 would deem it very important that they have a service 24/7 in case needed to repair mechanical or electric faults that’s what
I know that and spent time being handsomely financially rewarded for working night shifts covering for breakdowns whilst doing PMs.

Companies used to accept this as a cost of business but now expect some poor sap to stay sober on a Friday night in case the phone rings at three in the morning. All for some pittance of a retention fee.

Unfortunately the only answer is to vote with your feet.

thats my view on it too, there is very little in the domestic sector that really requires us to be on call for those hours, maybe nightshift workers getting home at odd hours but this is a negligible percentage of customers

if you havent tried your heating till 3 in the morning do you really need it for 4am?

we get alot of callouts from clueless tenants and maybe 1 out of 10 is an actual emergency, most can wait till next day but if the tenant throws a hissy fit we have to go out to save face

i dont mind being on call if im compensated fairly for it, i was originally told that there would be no overtime, as im sure the supervisor had shares so he would do all the extra work

we arent a massive comany but i more than pull my weight so feel i can argue a good case for a substantial payrise, ive been fixing one of the guys ---- ups for about a month and im getting pretty fed up of it considering im on less than him per hour

commercial/industrial perhaps as the engineers may have to fix high ticket equipment where downtime is not an option

but for the likes of "my sockets wont go back on" isnt really an emergency, they have several other sources of power via other circuits so should just make do till next day , rather than have me come out to their property and diagnose their faulty appliance

thats my view on it too, there is very little in the domestic sector that really requires us to be on call for those hours, maybe nightshift workers getting home at odd hours but this is a negligible percentage of customers

if you havent tried your heating till 3 in the morning do you really need it for 4am?

we get alot of callouts from clueless tenants and maybe 1 out of 10 is an actual emergency, most can wait till next day but if the tenant throws a hissy fit we have to go out to save face

i dont mind being on call if im compensated fairly for it, i was originally told that there would be no overtime, as im sure the supervisor had shares so he would do all the extra work

we arent a massive comany but i more than pull my weight so feel i can argue a good case for a substantial payrise, ive been fixing one of the guys **** ups for about a month and im getting pretty fed up of it considering im on less than him per hour
Domestic wise, if an issue can't wait until the next day then I'd argue it's not an electrician but a priest they need.

As above, what is in your hard written contract, when I was on call in the past you would get a nominal payment say £50 pw to be on call this meant no getting drunk and if you did decide to take the missus to the cinema an you got a call you had to leave and go to work, the time you booked was from the second you got the call until you arrived back at home, funny how many traffic jams there are at 03:00.........

One thing to remember is if any company you work for asks you if you have a mobile or home number then tell them not you don't have one so they have to supply you with one unless they decide to pay the monthly contract for you, and oddly enough if its not in the contract you where staying at the GF's an hour away from your home address when you got called out...........

My last job was 100 standby. An hour for taking the call and 4 hours if you had to attend.
So if you got a call at midnight 1 hour at double time for answering phone. 4 hours for first hour and double time afterwards. Nice little earner but taxman takes the good out of it. Also if out passed midnight we had 8 hours rest period. Thats in health and safety legislation.

i only got a retainer fee for the xmas period but doubt this will continue for the rest of the year, ive been googling for some laws on this issue but can find nothing of substance

basically they want me to be available after hours, if im not on a retainer fee i can shirley just refuse?

fair to say there will be some renegotiation this coming week as ive taken on alot more responsiblities than i was contracted for, i was told there would be no overtime but supervisor got the dunt and ive now become golden boy

would asking for 18 an hour be too cheeky? bare in mind im still to sit my FICA in next few months

Hi, none of us eejits really know your situation,so it is difficult to say what you are due,and what you could demand.

But if you have done the above,without first arranging agreed reimbursement,then you may have already lost some bargaining power.

Over the years,i have had to make many arrangements,regarding remuneration...two golden rules.

Make an effort,to know what you want,for all the expected duties,what you would take on,and what you would not.

Do not bluff. It is a "yes" or a "no",and make this known.The minute one might mean the other - you're finished.

Companies mostly run the same,the world over. Many years back,i worked for a large outfit,and was asked to provide out-of-hours,which could mean an immediate call to travel,and then hours or days,on the job.

I was asked to carry a beeper,to ring in for the details...(yes,that's how long ago:() and the company directors,informed me,it was no extra money,as i would get that from the call onwards.

I was young,did not drink,and sharp at my craft,so,prime candidate.

After a right load of carry-on,noting i was quite young,and up against half a dozen experienced office warriors...i got a separate hourly rate,for all the time,i had possession of that beeper,which was all the hours i didn't get my normal rates...it was great!

And the big concession? the big promise? the companies biggest worry?

I was told "Whatever you do,do NOT,let anybody else,find out about this!"

Most decent sized companies,can stand rate variations...but politics can cost them dearly ;)

Depends on what the Terms and conditions of employment, to be fair mate the on call arrangements should have been explained and discussed with you prior to agreeing to be on call.
Do you get a retainer for the time you are expected to available? if you don't, then your firm are taking you for a Mug, trouble is if you accepted these conditions, then there will be little you can do, other that leave and find employment elsewhere, difficult in today's climate.

thanks for replies chaps, i will have to get a copy of my contract but when i first started calls outs were not part of the pudding

i have 6 years of guaranteed work on the macallans whisky site if things dont work out with this company so not fretting too much if i have to walk the walk

im going to come up with some numbers that i think are fair to me and the company

im not that desperate for money that i will jump out of my bed to fix some sods electrics, i would refuse flat out to answer after 11pm till the next day, obviously this is different on the maintenance side of industrial jobs but thats not my remit

I think your boss is taking the pee a wee bit, make him a proposal and stick to your guns! I think you had another thread on this topic a while ago and my thought then was that a small company cannot offer 24 hour cover.

I think your boss is taking the pee a wee bit, make him a proposal and stick to your guns! I think you had another thread on this topic a while ago and my thought then was that a small company cannot offer 24 hour cover.
Depends how many people are on the pay role, and the retainer is enough.

Reply to on call rota questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net