Discuss One-way or two-way bathroom switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

csj

-
Reaction score
I intend to replace the ceiling pull switch in my bathroom following a water leak from the flat upstairs which caused water to flow through both my ceiling light rose and the bathroom pull switch causing the light to now flicker in the bathroom.

I have replaced the ceiling rose but the light still flickers so I now intend to change the switch also and need to know whether this switch is a one-way or two-way switch.

The switch operates both the bathroom light and the fan in the separate
toilet.

In the toilet, the wall switch there also operates the fan and the light in the toilet.

The fan stays on as long as either the bathroom or toilet switch is on but the light in the bathroom only comes on and off when the bathroom switch is turned on (and, similarly, the toilet light only comes on and off when the toilet switch is actuated).

Could somebody please advise me if this is a one-way or two-way setup.

The present switch aslo has a sticker on it with "isolator" printed on it (if
this makes a difference).

Incidentally, the toilet light doesn't flicker even when both the toilet and
bathroom switches are on.

Many thanks.

Thanks wirepuller.

A TLC 3 pole Fan Isolator pull switch on their web-site (I can't post the actual link) is described as a 3 pole Fan Ceiling Pull Cord Switch. Is this likely to have 6 terminals or does 3-pole refer to 3 terminals. Pardon my ignorance in these matters

yep, 3 pole means it switches 3 poles. i.e.L,N and switch L. i very much think that your pull switch will be just a standard pullcord light switch, 1 way. however buy a 2 way, the cost difference is minimal, and see what's in the existing switch. if it's just 2 wires, L to common and S/L to either L1 or L2, doesn't matter which.

edit: from your OP, it woiuld appear that either switch operates the fan. so there may be an extra wire in the switch. if you are competent to swap the switch, do so. if not, call a sparks in.

Last edited:

Reply to One-way or two-way bathroom switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net