Discuss Online Shopping Worries......... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys in the UK use an online shopping portal called Wish.com?

I downloaded their app a couple of months ago and thought I'd try them. Just as an experiment I ordered a watch which cost a staggering ZAR35.00 including shipping (about 2 quid in UK money). Sure enough it arrived about 3 weeks later and it was pretty impressive.....so much so I told my family it cost R350.00 and made myself look very philanthropic when I gave it as a gift to my eldest son.

I've since ordered some other items for substantially more money about 2 weeks ago but I've seen a couple of horror stories on social media so I'm a bit panicky.

fraud on line can happen to any of us
last christmas the wife was checking our on line banking and asked what the f^%$ have you been buying now at £530. Being asked that at 7 in the morning i had to think for a min but couldnt recall anything so i checked paypal and found a car hifi bought via ebay so i checked my ebay account and found all my delivery details changed to a mailing box address in manchester. luckily i was able to call the vendor and cancel the transaction i also had to change all my passwords for ebay and paypal plus now recieve a text with a code before transaction can go ahead. also for a few month after that i was posting boxes full of used nappies to this address to make myself feel a bit better about the attempted con

TBH I don't think they are a fraud....I'm certainly hoping they're not, just wondered if they operated in the UK. I'd be a lot more reassured if they did and people had used them sucessfully.

The goods aren't due to arrive for another couple of weeks so I guess time will tell.

I would have said that it is the same as any of the multiple supplier storefront sites from China even though not operated from China, you may be lucky, you may not.
The problem is that the website offers a wall between you and the actual seller so they tend to be able to avoid communication. If the seller is reasonable then you are OK, if the seller is a money making scam then you are not.
Unfortunately with the storefront approach there is no easy way to tell the difference.
Occasionally the reviews may help but they tend to be biased as well.
I think it is a valid selling approach that will supply goods, but the quality will vary widely by actual seller.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how they operate but after the order I got an inbox full of 'order recieved' emails, one for each item on the order. I'm hoping that the order arrives in one parcel but with all the separate emails I'm wondering if each supplier is going to ship their items separately from each other...which means I'm going to have to pick up about 20 different packages from our local post office :(

Screenshot - 05_08_2017 , 12_51_15 AM.jpg

Last edited:
fraud on line can happen to any of us
last christmas the wife was checking our on line banking and asked what the f^%$ have you been buying now at £530. Being asked that at 7 in the morning i had to think for a min but couldnt recall anything so i checked paypal and found a car hifi bought via ebay so i checked my ebay account and found all my delivery details changed to a mailing box address in manchester. luckily i was able to call the vendor and cancel the transaction i also had to change all my passwords for ebay and paypal plus now recieve a text with a code before transaction can go ahead. also for a few month after that i was posting boxes full of used nappies to this address to make myself feel a bit better about the attempted con
You have a joint bank account.................

Reply to Online Shopping Worries......... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net