Discuss Opinions Please (legal advise!) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. Up until this year I always sent my meter off to the manufacturers to be calibrated. This year I decided to use a certain Part P bodies own calibration department to carry out the calibration (huge mistake!). Let me give you a list of the facts as I see it:

1. Meter was sent to be calibrated.
2. A issue was found with the meter and a small repair was carried out. I was informed that the R2 values were slightly higher than normal and would be rectified.
3. Upon receiving the meter back I discovered there was an issue when conducting PSC readings (all readings obtained where >19.99kA).
4. The meter was returned to be checked and the meter had to be sent back to Kewtech - to be honest I am not entirely sure what work was done to the meter at this point.
5. Meter was returned to me and was now working fine.
6. Fast forward approx 3 1/2 months, went to carry out EICR on property to discover that all Ze and Zs values obtained no matter were I tested were 0.00 (impossible). After checking batteries, leads etc I determined it had to be the meter.
7. After an angry call to company, they agreed that they would collect meter and check it out. After they had checked the meter to verify the issue the meter was then sent to the manufacturers for repair and I would get it back soon.
8. A day later I get an email accusing me of dropping the meter and I would have to pay another £200 + VAT to have it repaired.

"Upon assessing the meter Kewtech have assured us the only way the components can come off the PCB and rip off the pads that they’re soldered onto, is by a substantial knock or drop. That is their assessment, not ours"

The problem is I am adamant that I have not dropped the meter and it's difficult for me to prove whether it was damaged in transit or by themselves.

In the meantime I have actually purchased a new meter because I can't risk having to pull off jobs due to a faulty meter in future as I already down approx 2 days money if not more and don't want to lose more money and look unprofessional in front of clients.

Do you think this is worth pursuing through the courts i.e. do I have a case? My head says just to leave it and put it down to lesson learned and move on but my heart says they need to pay for the repair of the meter and cover any loses incurred.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

I doubt you could prove the original "calibrater" caused the damage. It was an odd thing for them to state the R2 values were out surely the meter doesn't have a range marked as R2. Take it as a lesson to avoid these people and so called calibration days carried out at wholesalers they are just after a fast buck.

I know this is the issue is proving who caused the damage initially. It was Napit's calibration service who I used in this instance so anyone thinking about using there services should think twice!

I don't think it was R2 values just impedance values generally where too high which to be honest I was a bit baffled by anyhow as I check the meter regularly using a calcard and readings never seemed to change (even after receiving it back from manufacturers after a calibration).

what's wrong with calibration days at wholesalers.? just had mine done at YESSS. no problems and done while i was there. i'd be far more wary of sending meter away.i recently sent a Bill Insulock ( bakelite and robust, wrapped in bubble wrap, in a stout cardboadr box) and Royal Mail still managed to break it.

Agree with Tel, the most risk is in the transport / courier. After that, there's the experience level of the tester themselves. I think if an mft had parts damaged internally, it was either done during ham fisted investigation / reassembly or its case would have very obvious damage to support the assertion that it had been "thrown off a building".
Edit -I've got Mike Olding of On Site Calibration Services testing my lot next week - addressing both the courier and the experience concern.

Last edited:
i usewd mike last time, great service, but this year YESSS did a free calibration service @ warrington, so free wins.

what's wrong with calibration days at wholesalers.? just had mine done at YESSS. no problems and done while i was there. i'd be far more wary of sending meter away.i recently sent a Bill Insulock ( bakelite and robust, wrapped in bubble wrap, in a stout cardboadr box) and Royal Mail still managed to break it.
My office informed me about one of these wholesaler calibration days a month or two ago, I was doing paperwork at home so sent my analogue IR tester in as it is impossible to zero on low ohms thinking they would repair (dirty internal contacts which need cleaning, common problem with it). Came back all done still not zeroing (is that a word) it cannot have been calibrated so no to me these people are chancers, pile em up and I will stick a calibrated label on it.

It would seem impossible to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" (the standard required in a civil action) NAPIT calibration services dropped your meter. By the time you had got to court you would have spent more than buying a new meter. I would think it would be more likely that the courier service had dropped it. There may be more of a chance in claiming on the insurance that way as you are insured in transit. You clearly have the irrefutable evidence that the meter has been dropped from the manufacturer who state the damage found on the board is consistent with the meter being dropped. So it is beyond reasonable doubt that the meter was dropped. It is highly likely a court would view it is also beyond reasonable doubt that the courier dropped it. The reason being that when the meter first went to NAPIT there was no such observation of damage consistent with dropping. However between NAPIT and KEWTECH evidence then appeared as stated by KEWTECH. So clearly it was dropped between the two. So...sue the courier. Or claim insurance payment from them.
You could always take your case to Judge Rinder! My daughter did that and got paid £2K for scratches to her car.

It would seem impossible to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" (the standard required in a civil action).

Think you have your 'standard of evidence' incorrect.

The burden of proof in criminal trials is 'beyond reasonable doubt', whereas in civil trial, 'one party's case need only be more probable than the other' or 'the balance of probabilities'.

I have had my meter repaired a couple of times, and both times I returned it to the manufacturer, after the third party repair said, if they couldn't fix it, it would need to back to the repairer. The manufacturer normally gives a period of warranty (90 days ish) for the repair?

So under the 'the balance of probabilities', after 3 1/2 months practical use, I would say you wouldn't have much chance to prove it was someone else that caused the damage. :(

But the OP did say there was a fault and he sent it off, and there was no concurring opinion at that point that damage was consistent with dropping. It seems (if I have understood the sequence of events!) that it was then sent to KEWTECH where they said damage was consistent with dropping it. So would that not suggest it was between NAPIT and KEWTECH the damage happened.
3 1/2 months practical use

5. Meter was returned to me and was now working fine.
6. Fast forward approx 3 1/2 months, went to carry out EICR on property to discover

OP would have to prove that he did not cause the damage himself during that period, i.e. wasn't used for 3 1/2 months?

I would ask the repairer to return the MFT as is, or consider repairs.

Incidentally, when I've had my MFT repaired by the manufacturer (Megger), they have a standard fee £220 + vat + delivery for any repair (calibration incl), 90 day warranty. So as in this case, when the 3rd party repair can't fix the fault, its returned to the manufacturer; I don't see the use of such repairers practical, IMO.

If a piece of equipment was dropped with enough force to knock components off of a pcb board (load of carp) the casing would have been smashed to smithereens too.
I might consider another professional opinion just for the fun of it, as I hate being ripped off by chancers.

Imho 3.5 months is a long time after the event to make a claim .....

I've used Mike from on-site calibration and as he comes to me it's far far better all round....

Really what Episode / Series.
I wish I knew. I would love to get it recorded. It was over a year ago I did see it and it was unbelievable! Actually it was two of my daughters one suing the other over scratched car, with regards to boyfriend thing. We got a few calls from family/friends "is that your daughters on Rinder???" Nah-looks like them I agree but no...amazing likeness though:cool:

Reply to Opinions Please (legal advise!) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock