Discuss Organising, Invoice Numbers, Purchase Orders and Quote numbers help needed! Software? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tidy Max

Hello folks,

Once again i find myself turning to the forum for advice, this time its paperwork related.

I am getting myself in a right mix up with my invoice numbers, purchase order numbers, quote numbers and job numbers..... please can a few of you shed some light on how to organise said unique identifiers!

Do any of you use software which will manage them for you? If so please suggest it. It takes me so long to produce an invoice that its hardly worth doing. Anything that could possibly manage my quotes and invoices would be ideal.

Max

Re: Organising, Invoice Numbers, Purchase Orders and Quote numbers help needed! Softw

On my very basic level I have sheets of sequentially numbered labels the numbering starts with a letter and stick, say, a label beginning with A on the invoice then for the next invoice the next number, or next available label if i have lost a few. For POs numbers beginning with B....
Easiest way i could see without having computers available at every point in my work.

Re: Organising, Invoice Numbers, Purchase Orders and Quote numbers help needed! Softw

I use Intuit Quickbooks Pro and this does all this for me. I also use the invoice number against the certificate(s) I do for jobs.

People always want to cut corners and "save" money but a decent PC based system need not cost the earth and will help you loads!

Last edited by a moderator:

another one for quickbooks, i dont use anywhere near its full capability but invoicing is very good, i very rarely print out now, which saves paper and postage as i can email invoice direct to client. Invoices look professional and you can easily track your invoices overdue for payment.
I dont raise POs for suppliers just use client name but again all bills are entered into quickbooks so you know how much you have to pay / have paid and the wonderful think is, the VAT is just about 5 clicks away. Once a year i put in all wages, rents and expenses and it does corporation tax as well.
Costco was selling quickbooks single license for about £120, it has saved me many many times over.
I do my own books and have paper and two copies of the database, thats it.

another one for quickbooks, i dont use anywhere near its full capability but invoicing is very good, i very rarely print out now, which saves paper and postage as i can email invoice direct to client. Invoices look professional and you can easily track your invoices overdue for payment.
I dont raise POs for suppliers just use client name but again all bills are entered into quickbooks so you know how much you have to pay / have paid and the wonderful think is, the VAT is just about 5 clicks away. Once a year i put in all wages, rents and expenses and it does corporation tax as well.
Costco was selling quickbooks single license for about £120, it has saved me many many times over.
I do my own books and have paper and two copies of the database, thats it.

Do you use it for your estimates too?

No, i should look into that, at present i use excel to knock up the figures and then email quote to client just using the body of the email in txt

No, i should look into that, at present i use excel to knock up the figures and then email quote to client just using the body of the email in txt

You are missing a trick then. Do the estimate in quickbooks, you email it like your invoices. When you've done the job you can create the invoice from the estimate, make any changes and send!

This also allows to to keep track of estimates sent!

Have you got your logo and scheme logo on your invoice and estimates?

I do work for letting agents so if one agent is call Wibbily Wobbly then I my invoice is WW-3-029 so that means 3rd year of trading and job No 29 for them I also run 4 basic spreadsheets Sales,Purchase,Banking,Milage and at the end of the month enter the totals on a totals sheet that helps me fill in my self assesment .

Also on the Bank spreadsheet I can see what jobs are complete and what ones I have put a quote in for in other words keep it simple .

Also use the MS briefcase utility to back my business folder up every week Never leave it all on a PC/laptop always back it up

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry ive took so long to acknowledge them been off ill.

I think quickbooks is the way to go. I know a guy who also swears by it and has been telling me to get for a while.

Women tend to be useful for this sort of thing and not all of them cost an arm & leg to own & run. Just chuck all of your bits of paper at them and leave them to get on with it. :8:

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry ive took so long to acknowledge them been off ill.

I think quickbooks is the way to go. I know a guy who also swears by it and has been telling me to get for a while.

You can download a trial version and have a "play"

Women tend to be useful for this sort of thing and not all of them cost an arm & leg to own & run. Just chuck all of your bits of paper at them and leave them to get on with it. :8:

You incinerating that's all I'm good at? :38:
:86:

Extreme software suite by Amtech for estimating if you're looking for a good system it also has job costing and accounts modules.... They also do a smaller system called work smart which is just a estimating and Job costing/invoicing package about £200....

Reply to Organising, Invoice Numbers, Purchase Orders and Quote numbers help needed! Software? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock