Discuss out of the game for 2yrs....thoughts wanted!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

troyboy73

Hello to all

Just wanted your thoughts really,well im an electrician with 10yrsexperience but worried getting back into the mix.Come out of the trade for a while due to personal reasons,ive got my C&G parts 1,2 and 16th edition,due to do my 17th in a couple of weeks.
My concern is that i have had 5yrs experience as a mate and then 5yrs experience after i passed but i feel i still dont have enough experience,whilst working i was usually working in schools,housing associations,bit of commercial experience....done quite a of bit inspection and testing,fault finding,working with swa, mims cable, designing and installing computer suites which usually consisted of plastic trunking,data points,new lighting etc etc,repair of lighting from electronic ballasts,to the switch start etc etc.....so really bit worried that when i get back into it that they might think im not competent enough as my experiences with contactors etc etc is quite vague.....all comments welcomed

The only thing you can do is go and try.

I had 6 years experience refitting rental properties.

I did my 17th and PAT then went straight in, I am now doing my Inspect & Test and nearly coming to the end of it.

I went straight into Letting Agents and I been mainly doing them since.

You will be surprised what you do know.

Good luck - the hardest part is getting the customers

Hello to all

Just wanted your thoughts really,well im an electrician with 10yrsexperience but worried getting back into the mix.Come out of the trade for a while due to personal reasons,ive got my C&G parts 1,2 and 16th edition,due to do my 17th in a couple of weeks.
My concern is that i have had 5yrs experience as a mate and then 5yrs experience after i passed but i feel i still dont have enough experience,whilst working i was usually working in schools,housing associations,bit of commercial experience....done quite a of bit inspection and testing,fault finding,working with swa, mims cable, designing and installing computer suites which usually consisted of plastic trunking,data points,new lighting etc etc,repair of lighting from electronic ballasts,to the switch start etc etc.....so really bit worried that when i get back into it that they might think im not competent enough as my experiences with contactors etc etc is quite vague.....all comments welcomed

Sounds like you have plenty of experience to me......nobody knows everything,but you can initially concentrate on areas where you are confident. When you come up against things you are not sure of..like contactors...if you are really up to the job you'll be able to work it out,just dont panic.Think it through,a simple drawing helps a lot of the time. You may need to do the 2391 (or whatever it is now)...this is the one most employers want.

Agree with wirepuller but would add that we are always learning in this game so we all come up against something we are unsure of. So as wirepuller says think it through and never be afraid to ask for help if there is any available.

Hello to all

I know an awful lot of electricians, the vast majority are very good. A lot of them would know very little about contactors apart from basic use such as lighting contactors etc. So wouldn't let that bother you one bit.

Like guys said just go for it . I was out of game for 2yrs due to illness. You sound that you have more experiance than me. I had my assesment last year. Sometimes have to ask advice from differnet people and the guys on here will help if you need it . Good luck.

Reply to out of the game for 2yrs....thoughts wanted!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net