Discuss Out of work at 45 for the first time ever!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

magicstu

Hi Been working as a technical operator for the last 8 years, done some training , 2377, and an electrical to mechanical conversion course, and helped the company's electrician out a lot, trained as an electrical engineer for a few years when I left school(day release,) just been made redundant, and need to broaden my horizons, so after info and help, thinking of doing 17th edition, and 2394 to get me a better chance of a new boss. Bit worried of being fleeced and have pointless qualifications tho.

2382, 2394, 2395 are a start, and should get you an employer.

then NVQ3 once you've found an employer, pain in the arse and the older generation won't need too - but the NVQ looks like it's going to be the way forward.

there are 5 week courses out there stay well clear of them, they give you nothing in return

Thanks for the tips. Meant to say mechanical to electrical conversion course. Its meant to make you more multi skilled,and was really helpful for a starting point, going to do the courses stated above and see where it leads me.
What exactly are the minimum qualifications for working in the industrial sector? Just to install new sockets on existing circuits etc.
Tried to find out but its a minefield- can't be just deemed competent ?

If unemployed and you are registered with "Job Centre Plus" you may be able to go on an electrical training course at their expense. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Not means tested. Doesn't matter if you received redundant payments either.
I'm in same boat at 60! I'm in the process of doing the 2395. Passed two exams, awaiting results of the written exam.
Hope it helps

If unemployed and you are registered with "Job Centre Plus" you may be able to go on an electrical training course at their expense. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Not means tested. Doesn't matter if you received redundant payments either.
I'm in same boat at 60! I'm in the process of doing the 2395. Passed two exams, awaiting results of the written exam.
Hope it helps

Can't see that personally but if you managed to squeeze something out of them I will say well done! :thumbup:

I am a bit concerned how most employers want 17th edition as a qualification, even tho I have no intention of any major rewiring, I doubt if they even understand exactly what else is involved . I would love to finish my training I done after school and be an electrician, but fully understand, even with my previous knowledge, by the time I have got an employer, done my nvq, and gained the experience , it would not be beneficial. What I would like to know is... If I get my 2382, 2394, 2395 qualifications, would that be good enough to allow me to fit additional power points , lights etc. within an industrial environment? and if the maintenance side fails to deliver will they be enough to look at working in the field of say, kitchen fitter, handyman, or electricians mate? I'm not after your jobs, just need to bay the bills, and the answer from all the training centres I have asked is always spend more money (apart from one that recommended the above courses)!Manufacturing is dead in this country and I think I need to broaden my skills

Reply to Out of work at 45 for the first time ever!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock