Discuss Outdoor Flex Cable RR-F or RN-F in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an Halogen Floodlight wired to a 20A JB situated on an external wall with no IP4X protection. I intend on ripping it out and rewiring it and replacing the floodlight with an LED alternative.

However the issue I am having right now is regarding the cable.

I planned on using H07RN-F or H05RN-F cable. This is because both of them are rated for outdoor use, can deal with UV exposure and both can handle the typical temperature range.

However with both of these flex types they only seem to be commonly available in 0.75mm or 1.5mm

1.5mm will not fit through the cable gland into the light fitting. normal VV-F wont fit, so i doubt RN-F will.

0.75mm is only rated at 6A, the light needs to be fed from the Lighting Circuit, which is protected by a 6A MCB (Split load CU so there is RCD protection). As the MCB will never trip exactly at 6A, I believe the 0.75mm cable is not acceptable as there is the potential (though unlikely) that the cable could overheat and burn out before the MCB trips.

So really i need to find some H05/H07RN-F 3G1 cable (3 Core, 1.0mm CSA)

But i cant seem to find it anywhere!

Local wholesalers have claimed they do, ive turned up to buy it and it has been H05/H07 "RR-F" and not "RN-F" one supplier tried to palm me off with VV-F saying it was rated for outdoor use.

Looking at Datasheets from LAPP etc, the RN-F seems to be the only type with a manufactures rating for outdoor use. RR-F does not have a manufactures rating for Outdoor use, but it is still a rubber coated flex cable, Would RR-F be acceptable?

thanks,
Taylor

I believe you are over thinking this, you say though unlikely in your post. Yes it is unlikely, 0.75 should be perfectly adequate. Do you have the newvfitting has many come with a fitted flex.

.................0.75mm is only rated at 6A, the light needs to be fed from the Lighting Circuit, which is protected by a 6A MCB (Split load CU so there is RCD protection). As the MCB will never trip exactly at 6A, I believe the 0.75mm cable is not acceptable as there is the potential (though unlikely) that the cable could overheat and burn out before the MCB trips........
I'm really confused by this. Why do you think is not appropriate to protect a 6 Amp cable with a 6 Amp MCB?

Yes, the MCB won't trip immediately with a marginal overload but likewise the cable won't spontaneously combust or catastrophically fail with a marginal overload either.

Sorry I realised I missed off part of the circuit.

There are two light fittings

1x 22W LED Floodlight, comes with a factory fitted Flex, H05RN-F 3G1

1x Wall mount light, this does not have a flex, but has the cable gland which does not allow the larger size cables.

As the LED floodlight already has 1.0mm flex, it was another reason why i was not going to use the 0.75mm.

While i know it will be fine running on 0.75mm, the fact is it is only rated for 6A before any kind of derating and I have a 6A MCB.

If it's in free air there should be no reason to derate.

I thought 0.75 was rated generally at 7A but that is not really relevant, the chances of a short length of cable to a light fitting overloading to the point where is catches fire are all but zero.

It basically the same as the piddly bit of flex in a normal light pendant. Dropping from 1.0mm or 1.5mm down to the lampholder in something much smaller, which in the good old days could have had a 100W lamp in it.

Ho7 is stocked in pretty much every size and sold by the meter in CEF branches. also very reasonably priced too. failing that if you really what some in a larger csa order it from an online electrical supplier.

If it's in free air there should be no reason to derate.

True,

It is just i have always been of the belief that the fuse rating must be less than that of the cable, not equal to.

Afterall the fuse/MCB is there to protect the cable, not the appliance.

But that said, most appliances either fail to earth and would cause an RCD trip, or fail short circuit, in which case the likelihood of it drawing exactly 6A for a prolonged time is non-existant, it would most likely trip "instantly" >5x the rating.

But my regs book is there, and it doesnt feel right...

So far the amount of time ive spent on this, probably far outweighs the cost of a different light fitting which can take 1.5mm...

True,

It is just i have always been of the belief that the fuse rating must be less than that of the cable, not equal to.

Afterall the fuse/MCB is there to protect the cable, not the appliance................
No, if your cable has a rated current of 6A according to it's length, installation method etc then you can install a 6A MCB to protect it. The rated current given to the cable already has safety margins built into it so no further derating is necessary.

The best flexible cable for outdoor use is H07RN-F but providing the cable is black and not prone to mechanical damage it will be fine.

Hi Taylor.

I remember having many discussions about this a few years back. I spent ages looking for 1mm H05RN and I just found oscure, expensive sites selling it like this one Connection cable H05RN-F 3 G 1 mm² Black LappKabel from Conrad Electronic UK - https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/604146/Connection-cable-----H05RN-F-----3-G-1-mm-----Black-----LappKabel

I think it depends what you are using it for as to whether you can use H05RR or not. I don't see anything wrong with using it if it is just going from a JB into a flood light right next to it. The main things (as I see it) are for the cable to be rubber and black.

However, in most cases I use 1mm H07RN. I'm not sure why you cant find this as it is easily available. Here is a site where I some times buy it from H07 RN-F Cable | Rubber Cable | The Electric Cable Company (GB) Ltd - https://www.electriccable.co.uk/RWDrubbercable3core.php#3core
You do find that it is sometimes a bit of a pain to use though as it is thicker than H05.

Duplicate post!

1.5mm will not fit through the cable gland into the light fitting. normal VV-F wont fit, so i doubt RN-F will.
op ,are you trying to take out the existing flex from the fitting and replace it with a new flex.cause the flex that comes from the manufacturers is seiled when they make them and to not to be removed .with warranty and all that .

Morning all,

As per post #5 There are two light fittings. the New Flood light does have a pre-termianted flex, the other light fitting does not.

Thanks all i think I am satified that the RR-F cable i have will suffice for terminating the Flood light and I will buy a new light fitting for the wall light, one with a prefitted flex.

thanks,

Reply to Outdoor Flex Cable RR-F or RN-F in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock