Discuss Outdoor Heating, Blind Motors, New Circuits - Brain hurts! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So, with the house job nearly completed, the wife wants some outside heating and the blind man needs to connect his motors for the new outside blinds coming...

HEATER
She’s found a 2kw infra red heater that, while I’m not keen on trailing cables on the deck will probably do the job if it’s close. I can easily add an external socket off the downstairs RFC which is RCBO protected. I assume I can do that myself?

If I want a tidy job with a heater on the wall and an isolator switch does it then become a fixed 2kw appliance needing it’s own circuit? Bearing in mind how infrequently it will be used it seems a bit daft.

BLIND MOTORS
They had asked for a 16 amp supply (with isolation at the CU) but when he turned up said it would be max 8 amps even with all motors working at once. So he said he could just plug it in - so separate circuit (which wasn’t ready anyway!) not needed. OK or not?

MORE HEATERS
Ideally there would be 2*2kw heaters mounted high up but the only “conduit” that could be used from the CU would be the 20mm (external) yellow pipe that I put in that goes under all the floors and comes out under the deck. It was going to be for some LED lighting :) The pipe is too small for a hituf or SWA 4mm cable and with an internal of 15mm I can’t see a 2.5mm going through easily either.

So, for 2 heaters it would be one new not tough cable in unapproved conduit for one heater, an external FCU off the RFC for the other, and external JB’s to tidy it all together. So seems like a no-no to me!

Professional comments to add to my list of opinions?!

Sorry for such a long post....:)

So, with the house job nearly completed, the wife wants some outside heating and the blind man needs to connect his motors for the new outside blinds coming...

HEATER
She’s found a 2kw infra red heater that, while I’m not keen on trailing cables on the deck will probably do the job if it’s close. I can easily add an external socket off the downstairs RFC which is RCBO protected. I assume I can do that myself?

If I want a tidy job with a heater on the wall and an isolator switch does it then become a fixed 2kw appliance needing it’s own circuit? Bearing in mind how infrequently it will be used it seems a bit daft.

BLIND MOTORS
They had asked for a 16 amp supply (with isolation at the CU) but when he turned up said it would be max 8 amps even with all motors working at once. So he said he could just plug it in - so separate circuit (which wasn’t ready anyway!) not needed. OK or not?

MORE HEATERS
Ideally there would be 2*2kw heaters mounted high up but the only “conduit” that could be used from the CU would be the 20mm (external) yellow pipe that I put in that goes under all the floors and comes out under the deck. It was going to be for some LED lighting :) The pipe is too small for a hituf or SWA 4mm cable and with an internal of 15mm I can’t see a 2.5mm going through easily either.

So, for 2 heaters it would be one new not tough cable in unapproved conduit for one heater, an external FCU off the RFC for the other, and external JB’s to tidy it all together. So seems like a no-no to me!

Professional comments to add to my list of opinions?!

Sorry for such a long post....:)
You need to get Professional help here, hire an Electrician to design and install the circuitry required for the equipment you need, bodging the job is not an option.

Thanks Pete,

Ignoring the dual heater set-up (which would require design and installation) I’ve never read anything against external sockets off a ring other than the obvious tripping risk.

While it’s certainly not an elegant solution does the use of a plug in an IP66 switched socket for the blinds motors actually break any regs?

Thanks

External heaters are VERY environmentally unfriendly. You cannot heat the outside. Get her to think again. If it is that cold don't go outside or buy some woolies.

infra red heaters on push-for- ON timers would be a good idea. just keep you warm when outside. used with good effect in the leper colony wall free sheds ( smokers' areas) at loads of pubs.

Thanks both.

Agree on external heating generally and happily the idea of dual fixed heaters is now off the agenda. A single plug in infra red table heater for when required is now the agreed choice. And I’m sure I can find a shed to hide it in....

I’ve contacted my electrician who has now moved back local and can (hopefully still) put up with all my questions :)

Reply to Outdoor Heating, Blind Motors, New Circuits - Brain hurts! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock