Discuss Outdoor lighting - no waterproof junction boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, could someone please let me know whether the attached pictures is safe for step lighting?

From what I can see, the contractor has cut away the insulation from the cabling that was suplied by the manufacturer and used standard junction boxes wrapped with electrical tape.

This doesn't feel sufficient to me so just wanted some more advice.

Thanks in advance Screenshot_20170829-220404.png

Poor, very poor workmanship.

That said, if there is no access apart from the hole we see, then sometimes what you want to do isn't practicable

Thanks for the response. Contractor was involved with the laying of cable when the steps were built so the infrastructure should have been as requested.

What is likely yo go wrong with this setup? Is it unsafe? Especially with small children and pets in the rain?

It's poor workmanship as murdoch says. The likely hood of something going wrong isn't severe. Saying that if I had paid for such an install I wouldn't be best pleased as its sub standard work.......without seeing the whole setup it's hard to say how I would of done it.

Poor, very poor workmanship.

That said, if there is no access apart from the hole we see, then sometimes what you want to do isn't practicable
That's beside the point. Specially from someone so pendantic about two circuits on one RCD.
If it's not practical to do it safely then it cant be done.
I agree with davesparks. At best it wont be very long before this is giving problems, at worst there's a real electric shock risk.
If there is enough slack on the supply cable, and enough space behind, a waterproof pond type connector would be the way to go, or perhaps a gel block. Provision for this should have been made at the design/install phase. If there's no slack on those cables then I doubt a satisfactory joint can be achieved. At a pinch if the joint could be pulled out far enough to use self amalgamating tape that might just do it, still a balls up though.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have not paid yet so just trying to figure out what to do. The contractor has suggested pumping the hole with a gel that hardens bit this doesn't feel like a long term solution and also means maintenance will be difficult.

Given that the stairs were built with thier involvement i would expect the job to be done to a high standard.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. They are NICEIC accredited if that helps.

Those luminaires, which seem to have the manufacturers name of 'Knightsbridge'. These type of fitting kits would normally come with long fly lead, that either connects into a bespoke joint box and connectors provided by the manufacturer or a fly lead that should connected to an IP65 joint box provided by a third party.

Looks as if you installer has cut off this lead, presumably because it was too short. As others have said, it's going to cause issues.

Can you post the details of these luminaires? As an aside I'm on my second set of deck lights (cheapo' from Screwfix), which have just packed up again. I am not going to install a third set.

So these are on stairs. Is there no side or rear access at all?

Are they inside or out?

So the lights are outside in the garden. The stairs have been built and paved so no access at all.

The electrician came over and instructed the Landscaper with what he needed bit it feels like not much thought went into the planming phase.

Will the gel help? Or will it still be unsafe?

A hole in a wall is not really a joint box. The gel & brick will eventually part company. What's on the other side of that taped up connector? Details of luminaire?

A hole in a wall is not really a joint box. The gel & brick will eventually part company. What's on the other side of that taped up connector? Details of luminaire?

Knightsbridge LEDM06 - link below.

0.6W LED Mini Ground Light White with 3 Interchangeable Heads | City Electrical Factors - http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/3871327-0-6w-led-mini-ground-light-white-c-w-3-interchangable-heads

No transformer, fed straight from mains.

Otherside of the junction box is the cable coming from the brickwork which is now not accessible.

Agree with above - stick a waterproof plug and socket coupler on. Damp is bound to get into those joints at some point.

Knightsbridge LEDM06 - link below.

0.6W LED Mini Ground Light White with 3 Interchangeable Heads | City Electrical Factors - http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/3871327-0-6w-led-mini-ground-light-white-c-w-3-interchangable-heads

No transformer, fed straight from mains.

Otherside of the junction box is the cable coming from the brickwork which is now not accessible.

Are your sure that is the exact fitting? The manufacturers data sheet suggests it must be earthed, although it confuses things by saying its Class III and 230V?

The luminaire in your picture suggests its double insulated Class II and doesn't require earthing, your picture suggests the lead doesn't have an earth wire. This needs clarification?

Reply to Outdoor lighting - no waterproof junction boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net