Discuss outdoor trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bobbyr

Hello All

Is there any type of square trunking that can be used outdoor for domestic purposes. The customer doesn't want to paint over cable or galvanised trunking and I need to run a 10mm supply to an outer building. Any suggestions? cant go In the ground either as he has blocks on top of concrete.

thanks

If you're thinking of using white PVC trunking forget it. As far as i know it doesn't come in a weatherproof form and is not UV resistant. So if your customer wants a supply out to this outbuilding he is going to have to compromise somewhere along the line, such as using black UV resistant conduit and fittings etc with rubber box lid seals, or SWA cable etc.... Or he can't have a correctly installed supply to the outbuilding!! .....Simples!! lol!!

Hello All

Is there any type of square trunking that can be used outdoor for domestic purposes. The customer doesn't want to paint over cable or galvanised trunking and I need to run a 10mm supply to an outer building. Any suggestions? cant go In the ground either as he has blocks on top of concrete.

thanks
if he doesnt want to paint it, suggest stainless or better yet powder coated lol.

catenary wire?

Why does it need to be waterproof? The twin and earth that will be going in the trunking will be waterproof and I pretty sure hardly any water would get in pvc trunking

Don't think plastic trunking will last long outside with all the elements. It will fall to pieces in a couple of years at the most. Do it properly, SWA or conduit.

Don't think plastic trunking will last long outside with all the elements. It will fall to pieces in a couple of years at the most. Do it properly, SWA or conduit.

Yeah i do agree with ya swa or conduit is the way to go but i was just saying

Plastic tubing lasts for years outside. Daz

The customer seems to have pulled a lot of criteria out from somewhere.
I suggest running the cable in SWA as you would normally, then the customer is free to get a chippy, or even a bricky, to carefully box around it.

I'd have thought an swa run would like better than plastic trunking anyway on an outside wall. Daz

Plastic tubing lasts for years outside. Daz

The white stuff won't last very long, it has no UV protection whatsoever and will become brittle within a couple of years or so!! Black conduit on the other hand is generally UV proof....
Whatever conduit is used, it will need rubber gaskets beneath any conduit box fitting lids....

I've had 2000m of white high UV resistant 20mm electrical conduit shipped into Afghanistan. All accredited (CE and UL) as fit-for-purpose for this harsh environment ! -20 to +60, Uv rated to Level 10 .... but it is more expensive than standard conduit, but it is out there to buy.

Example from Google:
Outdoor Electrical Uv Resistant Pvc Conduit - Buy Uv Resistant Pvc Conduit,Ourdoor Pvc Conduit,Electrical Pvc Conduit Product on Alibaba.com

We live and learn... lol!!

A nice bit of neat SWA work should be pleasing to to look at and needn't spoil the aesthetic nature of a house...but each to their own I guess!

Reply to outdoor trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock