Discuss Outside building supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

john f

-
Reaction score
Hello All

I am currently constructing a cattery 70 metres from our house
I will be running (if all on ) 5kw of heat lamps
I will also have a 32a ring main and of course lighting
My plan is to run 16mm swa from a henley block split from our house cu
The house is a TT earth (with incoming provision of PME)

The question is
Do I run 16mm swa twin core and use a earth spike at the cu in the cattery
or run a 3 core earthing both at the house cu and the cattery cu
the supply will not be using any of the ways from the house cu but will be split from the incoming to the house after the meter

John F

Read more: Outside building supply - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement

Not quite sure what you mean by house is a TT but incoming provision of PME? It's either one or the other unless someone has put an earth rod in for some other reason.

The house is TT and has a spike
The incoming from the supplier has PME sticker on fuse However the link has not been installed for the earth so the spike is the earth and is connected via 16mm single green yellow to the main earth terminal in the cu

john f

If I were you I'd get a registered sparks just to check your earthing arrangements - if your supplier is offering you PME then my advice would be to use it and save yourself a world of grief in other areas. Then, once using PME, run your supply (which is Part P notifiable in England/Wales) using a 3core SWA and take the earth with you ('exported PME').

There's a sticky on this forum about exporting PME to outbuildings so I won't go into it on this.

Hi John: What sort of Protection / Isolation are you putting at the House end of the Cable ?

The new supply will be after the meter so will be protected by the 100a cartridge fuse as the house is and I also have a double pole isolator for the whole installation

John F

Hi John: Don't take this the wrong way but are you a Sparky & are you part P registered ?
If not then my advice would be to get 1 in.(Part P Sparky that is).

Last edited by a moderator:
First class answer
Without looking at the tables I,m sure as you say 16mm will have to have a fuse rated much lower

Thanks
John F

Just to let you know I did complete the 2360 installation course so I know enough to be dangerous yet my work is being checked by a "part P man"
thank god I hear you all say !

Regards
John F

Reply to Outside building supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock