Discuss Outside light - tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

Went to a job last week, replace an outside light with another customer bought one. Straight swap, few extra holes in the wall for new mounting, job done. Photocell model.

Left the job with a working light. Now, I fitted this in the p***ing down rain, which in itself was a tad silly of me but I wanted this job out the way. I chalked it off as something damp inside and said I'd be back round to look in a few days when it dried up - not a problem as it has a switch so can be isolated leaving the rest of the electrics on and working.

When I went back it hadn't rained since fitting, so should have been nice and dry in there by now. I checked and there was no wires trapped or anything. I'd asked if they'd tried it since and "no", so flicked it on and it works. Left the job, 10 minutes later a message to say it's tripping again.

So the symptoms are the light works fine for a little while, but then starts tripping. Once it starts tripping it continues tripping until seemingly left a while.

Probably a simple one as "dodgy fitting" but wanted to double check on here if anyone had any more thoughts? He's asked me to stick his old one back up, which I'll be doing this weekend at some point, but wanted a second opinion....

The light itself is unlikely to have any connection to earth in the circuitry so unless something is expanding whilst on and the circuit/lamp is then touching the body of the fitting I cannot see how the RCD would trip from the light fitting alone.
Where did those extra holes for mounting the fitting go? perhaps near the supply?

Also if the light had been changed before and there is a nice terminal block in insulation tape just inside the wall that got wet during fitting this may be a cause.
On site investigation is the only way, though it would be interesting to see if it still trips with the old light!

The light itself is unlikely to have any connection to earth in the circuitry so unless something is expanding whilst on and the circuit/lamp is then touching the body of the fitting I cannot see how the RCD would trip from the light fitting alone.
Where did those extra holes for mounting the fitting go? perhaps near the supply?

Also if the light had been changed before and there is a nice terminal block in insulation tape just inside the wall that got wet during fitting this may be a cause.
On site investigation is the only way, though it would be interesting to see if it still trips with the old light!
The cable is straight through so no chance of contact. Just finding it strange with it being a delayed trip rather than the second it's turned on

Any chance it's them turning something else on that's under that RCD?
One rcd for install. Definitely not anything else as the light trips as soon as turned on (after the initial delay) - it's that delay turned instant symptom that's making me think electronics of the photocell?

No point looking for complicated solutions, it would be very co-incidental if it was something other than the light (assuming it actually was working OK before!). Just stick the old one back and see how it goes.

I'd still of IR tested the install....would take 5 minutes to do a global. As it is you've made an assumption that may be correct but it's still an assumption.
I didn't explicitly say I didn't test the install. I did IR test it and returned fine. Also clamp tested to see but that returned nothing interesting

I'd still of IR tested the install....would take 5 minutes to do a global. As it is you've made an assumption that may be correct but it's still an assumption.
How do you mean 5 minutes to do a global? Usually takes about 20 mins for the occupier to run round and unplug everything. Then you have to spend another 10+ mins working out whats still connected......problems pretty obvious here why complicate it??

How do you mean 5 minutes to do a global? Usually takes about 20 mins for the occupier to run round and unplug everything. Then you have to spend another 10+ mins working out whats still connected......problems pretty obvious here why complicate it??
Nah leave it all plugged in, IR to earth job done. Does not more harm than a PAT, if you get problems then unplug.

I didn't explicitly say I didn't test the install. I did IR test it and returned fine. Also clamp tested to see but that returned nothing interesting
Nice one, don't make a drama out of it. Problems obvious, no need to conduct an inquest, times money! Tricky concept for some folks.....

Nah leave it all plugged in, IR to earth job done. Does not more harm than a PAT, if you get problems then unplug.

Yet another who deviates from the ABC of testing to improve and speed up fault finding in Domestic installs :thumbsup:
After all,it's the fault that needs to be located and that can be installation or user cause,two birds with one stone and all that

Reply to Outside light - tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock