Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Outside light

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by adam1984, Feb 22, 2012.

Discuss Outside light in the Electrical Forum area at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. adam1984

    adam1984 EF Member

    A collegue at work has asked about having a PIR light added. Not sure if im allowed to do it but said that i would have a look into it. The Consumer unit has no RCD and is the old wylex unit that is found in so many authority houses (meteral i think / skelton type)

    my thoughts would be to take power from existing power circuit to FCU, drill through wall and run 1.5mm black flex in 25mm pvc conduit to light.

    Will the light require RCD protection?
  2. telectrix

    telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

    Top Poster Of Month

    Business Name:
    the light won't need RCD protection. the cable would if buried < 50mm deep in a wall. if you can fit your FCU alongside a socket, then drill through the back of the FCU through the wall, then no RCD is required. fit a 3A fuse. the black flex can be clipped or in conduit. if in conduit, you will have problems with cable entry in light fitting unless you fit adaptable boc to conduit, then stuffing gland the flex out to the light. this job would not be classed as notifiable, but you will need to complete a MEWIC. and measure Zs etc. for the circuit you have modified. don't forget that you have to ensure earthing and bonding is in place and adequate.
  3. Sav

    Sav Guest

    I would take the supply from a nearby socket into an RCD fused switch ( make sure fuse is 3amp rated). Then outside to PIR light
    If your not qualified to do it, then get a qualified electrician in to carry out the work, just in case you end up hurting yourself.

    Not trying to be rude or anything, just helpful advise.

    Best regards,
Similar Threads - Outside light Forum Date
Help needed wiring led security garden light to outside. DIY Electrical Forum Feb 8, 2018
Faulty outside lights with PIR Lighting Forum Jan 1, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

Electricians Directory Post a Domestic Job Post a Commercial Job