Discuss Outside lighting in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm having a moment where I can't for the life of me how to wire something, the setup is that there are three outside lights at 3 seperate patio doors. The customer would like the option of switching each light individually from its own switch (next to patio door in each bedroom) plus be able to switch all 3 lights from one other switch in the living room. Its been a long few days and my brain just won't work. Is it do-able and if so how??

I'm having a moment where I can't for the life of me how to wire something, the setup is that there are three outside lights at 3 seperate patio doors. The customer would like the option of switching each light individually from its own switch (next to patio door in each bedroom) plus be able to switch all 3 lights from one other switch in the living room. Its been a long few days and my brain just won't work. Is it do-able and if so how??

Think you need to ask the customer exactly what they'd like this single switch in the living room to do. All on, all off, override on, override off, or toggle the state of each of the lights!

Thinking about it the 3 pole switch is a daft idea, the switches would be in parallel. The relay would allow you to two-way them all, but would get messy if the living room switch is operated if any of the bedroom switches is not in the same position as the others.

The easiest way of doing it would be to have a 2 way switch by each door and a bank of 3 2 way switches so you can do what you like with them.

If it really has to be as you described you'd need a contactor for each light individually controlled by 2 momentary switches (NO and NC) at each point with an overall control as the master, which either turns all the lights on or all of them off.

Far simpler just to have a bank of 3 switches at the 'master' point.

Reply to Outside lighting in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net