Discuss Outside lights power supply issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just moved into a new house which has some outside lights fitted in the back garden, none of which are working. There's a wall mounted junction box which I opened to see if the supply was ok. When I measured it it's getting 6V a.c. between live and earth, and nothing between live and neutral. I can't find where it's connected inside the house so I can't look at the transformer and see what's going on there.

Does anyone have an idea why it wouldn't be reading anything between live and neutral?

It’s hard to visualise without seeing the set up.

Are the lights 230v or extra low voltage? Which transformer are you referring to?
Is there any surface cables to the junction box outside? Can you see where they enter the house?
What is directly behind the junction box inside the house? It may that the lights were known to be faulty and have been disconnected.

Roughly where in UK are you. There may be a member on here local to you

Wonder if the OP has replied to the questions and the post is just waiting for 'acceptance' from the MODs.

Not much point in posting until we get more info...

I had assumed that they were ELV because I was getting 6V, and that it must have been getting transformed somewhere and that I just hadn't yet found the location of the transformer. I've just checked one of the broken lights and it turns out it's a 230V light. So clearly there is a supply issue somewhere, still not sure why it would be 6v and not zero if it's been disconnected somewhere. I've tried looking at the surface cables of the JB to see where in the house it goes; it looks like it goes into the cavity between a bedroom and the bathroom, I would have thought from there it would go up into the loft but I couldn't find it coming up.

The house is new ish, I think it was build in the 90's, it's in Newcastle.

info is king. just been to look at a small little job. nice lady, but she has a huge long-haired tabby cat. i wondered why my eyes were itching after 3 minutes in the house, then the cat walked by. i had to apologise to the lady, said i could not do the job, another 10 minutes and i've had needed a anti-histamine jab and oxygen mask. as you may see, i'm allegic to cats, the hairier they are, the sooner i get ill. arrrrgh. cats.

Reply to Outside lights power supply issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock