Discuss Outside sheds TT or not TT in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sevuk

-
Reaction score
This is a topic we discussed while doing 2391. It's not something I've really thought of or need to for that matter.

If a shed far down the garden has its own CCU, should it be fed with a two core armoured glanded into a plastic box and have its own electrode?

The theory being especially if it is a metal clad shed, isn't there a risk of electric shock if the shed is brought up to the same potential as the house if there is a fault in the house?

Small loads like lights would more than likely be fed from a circuit in the house and if rcd protection is provided this should be adequate, but a workshop should be in its own faraday cage should it not? Or at least have an earthing conductor the same size as the bonding conductor in the house.

What do you guys do?

This is a topic we discussed while doing 2391. It's not something I've really thought of or need to for that matter.

If a shed far down the garden has its own CCU, should it be fed with a two core armoured glanded into a plastic box and have its own electrode?

The theory being especially if it is a metal clad shed, isn't there a risk of electric shock if the shed is brought up to the same potential as the house if there is a fault in the house?

Small loads like lights would more than likely be fed from a circuit in the house and if rcd protection is provided this should be adequate, but a workshop should be in its own faraday cage should it not? Or at least have an earthing conductor the same size as the bonding conductor in the house.

What do you guys do?

Attachments

• Garage-Shed Supplies.pdf
    243.4 KB · Views: 151
Arrgh what the hell....depends if the DNO has a particular dislike on the practise of exporting or extending (whatever) their PME supply or if there's anything extraneous, that make a TT more cost effective.

Arrgh what the hell....depends if the DNO has a particular dislike on the practise of exporting or extending (whatever) their PME supply or if there's anything extraneous, that make a TT more cost effective.
When would exporting a pme supply be allowed?
I can't see that being correct, but I've never been involved in it.
Without even thinking about it, I've often run in an earth cable with an armoured as part of the design, I've never tapped off a neutral.

Done a few times to detached garage for example, DNO had no preference, and TNC-S is mostly better than brilliant TT. The likes at the IET don't think so mind!

Come the 18th we will be putting in a rod on tncs ....... The regs writers just don't have as clue what they are suggesting ...

So export the earth and add as rod. ....

Come the 18th we will be putting in a rod on tncs ....... The regs writers just don't have as clue what they are suggesting ...

So export the earth and add as rod. ....

Not yet, they might realise how impracticable it is, other than in new build.

TBH honest I did a freebie job for old lady who lives next door, I thought about all scenarios, exporting a 16mm earth, tt'ing etc and went with what Murdoch suggested, PME and bang in a rod for good measure......

TBH honest I did a freebie job for old lady who lives next door, I thought about all scenarios, exporting a 16mm earth, tt'ing etc and went with what Murdoch suggested, PME and bang in a rod for good measure......
Freebie, how much did the rod cost ya ?

Reply to Outside sheds TT or not TT in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock