Discuss Oven and cooker circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi new on here and back on the tools after years of point at stuff for others (so go easy). I understand diversity, but with an induction hob it is quite easy to put all rings on and be drawing max load (think Sunday dinner of all the family). The same with the oven when heating up. For the sake of another cable (there is a spare way) and future proofing, why would you not run 2 x 6mm cable on 2 x 32A breakers?

you can have all rings on together, but that will only be for a short period till the stats start switching .

Hi new on here and back on the tools after years of point at stuff for others (so go easy). I understand diversity, but with an induction hob it is quite easy to put all rings on and be drawing max load (think Sunday dinner of all the family). The same with the oven when heating up. For the sake of another cable (there is a spare way) and future proofing, why would you not run 2 x 6mm cable on 2 x 32A breakers?

Depends on how they are made. I have installed induction hobs that are rated at a total load of over 6kW yet are supplied with 1.5mm flex and a 13A plug top.

I prefer to apply diversity to each separate appliances (in excess of 10A) individually, as opposed combining their total loads, then using formulae.

What do ya think?

Why would you do that then

My understanding of diversity, is that any one electrical cooking appliance, through thermostats etc and switching, would never be able to use its full load, e.g. a simple single electric oven, has a selector switch, to select either main oven or grill, not both together.

Using Table A2 in the OSG for household installations; it shows formulae for diversity & asking for f.l. of connected cooking appliances.

Manufacturers would supply the f.l. figure for their devices. Separate appliances may function differently (as described above).

Further into Table A2, calculating diversity for commercial premises, it makes allowances for more than one appliance, not withstanding the different scenario.

In a simple set up of separate hob & oven, the usage is not comparable, however as is the fashion these days to have more than one oven, combination ovens etc etc, it is not hard to see the usage these appliances could have. Therefore, in such an install, I would calculate diversity separately.

In most cases as Sparksburntout suggested, 6mm would muller most situations.

Depends on how they are made. I have installed induction hobs that are rated at a total load of over 6kW yet are supplied with 1.5mm flex and a 13A plug top.
Yes, my mate wired in 6.0mm for hob and when he got it only had 13A plug top couldn't believe it.

Bit late but to be fair to the OP he doesnt say he is an Electrician in his profile.
yeah but... mdj does not say he's a dog in his profile, but his avatar says he is.

Reply to Oven and cooker circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock