Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Oven Element Quick Question in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hightower

hightower Guest

Neighbour having an issue with oven. Will work fine for so long and then it trips off the RCD. RCD resets but oven will not work after that for a day or two. Neighbour seems to think it's been since her husband cleaned the oven.

I suggested changing the element but would be a bit of a gamble since it would be tricky to test the current element with it having intermittent issues. New element is £47 as can only get an original part, so wanted to check on here before making her part with that sort of money.

Does it sound like the element to you?

2. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

You'll find a compatible element on eBay for about £15.
    If it has been enthusiasticly cleaned with copious amounts of water, its possible any component could be damaged though. Its unlikely cleaning would damage the element, but a failing element could produce this fault.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Last plumber

Last plumber Electrician's Arms

I would test the element ( like an immersion heater), to see if it's ok. There could be a problem with the switched side e.g. Oven thermostat !

• Like Like x 1
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

I hear you, but it's an intermittent fault, and one that only appears when the oven is hot. I can't test a hot element and a cold element will likely test okay.

@andy@andy - I've been on to a good few suppliers and they only stock manufacturer elements for this model. Not too keen on buying off ebay....

• Like Like x 1
  5. hightower

hightower Guest

I've sent an eBay seller a message asking for a compatible element - see what comes back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Last plumber

Last plumber Electrician's Arms

Can you not link out stat and bring it up to temp to try element, or if it's a dual oven with two stats rated same, swap wiring to try element off another stat. That would rule out stat anyway

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    with back off oven and any kids/pets locked away. heat up oven till hot. then swiftly isolate, diss element connections and IR @ 1000V. however, i'd suspect damp.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hightower

hightower Guest

That was my thoughts, but they've been struggling with it for a few months. I remember reading that elements can short out as they get hot though when on there way out.

9. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    I would generally expect it to be the element insulation starting to break down on heating and expansion causing the short to earth.
    I would second Tel's hot testing advice. With due safety considerations.
    I spent about two hours taking an oven apart that "always trips when switched on" and found nothing wrong and then got told "oh yes I checked with my wife and it only does it when hot":mad: and found very low IR on the elements when they were hot.

If it is due to vigorous cleaning (never had this problem on my oven!) then it could also be water collecting in the oven light cover and when steam condenses on the terminals it may be enough to cause an RCD to trip.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Hi dude,if oven trips the RCD,then goes O/C when reset,without tripping the RCD again...it will probably be the element.
    It is the most likely component to do this.
    Heating elements are capable of giving all three common fails,in a variety of sequences and intervals.

As mentioned,testing it,without having it in the state it will be every time it is on,that is,hot,may prove fruitless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. hightower

hightower Guest

Thanks guys, after some advice then. This is the genuine element for the oven:

http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es...?pageNumber=1&PartTypeId=1595&ModelId=1588332

Now as per @Andy78@Andy78's advice I'm trying to find an eBay replacement but this is the closest I can find:

AEG Fan Oven Cooker Element B4115-5-MUK, B8871-5-M, BE2003000M | eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEG-Fan-Oven-Cooker-Element-B4115-5-MUK-B8871-5-M-BE2003000M-/271403586965?hash=item3f30ea1595:g:NPgAAOxy0bRTANQP

How likely is it this eBay element will be the right size even though it's not for the exact model?

12. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    looks to be identical. give it a try. don't forget that a lot of ovens have 2 elements.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

Yeah this one has the top grill element but she says she's never used it in 3 years. For a tenner, I'm going to give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

...You've put a lot of effort in to this...is her name Mrs.Robinson? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. hightower

hightower Guest

£10 element was an incorrect fit. Gone back to eBay seller, but looking more like original only