Discuss Oven & Hob - Again! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeBa

First post on forum, so go easy on me please!.

I am looking to add a hob to an existing installation –details as follows:-
Existing oven – 3 kW – adding 7 kW hob
1998 build
32A MCB type B feeding 6.0mm2 t&e radial circuit about10m length clipped to wall, behind plasterboard connecting to 45A DP isolator with13A plug – above work top – closed to oven/ hob area.
From DP isolator 2 x 4.5mm2 t&e to under worktop – one to13A unswitched socket supplying the (present) gas hob ignition – the other to45A cooker connection unit.
From the CCU a 2.5mm2 t&e to oven.

With diversity the proposed addition works – (3000W + 7000W)/240V – 41.7A
First 10A + 30% remaining + 5A for socket = (41.7A-10A) x .3+ 10A + 5 A = 24.5A < 32 A

My concern is that the 2 x 4.5mm2 from DP isolator and 2.5mm2from CCU are being protected by a 32A MCB – not to regs and one of the 4.5mm2.t&ewould not be sufficient to supply the 7 kW hob.

To correct this I propose linking the 2 x 4.5mm t&e intoa twin CCU (discussed on this forum) and connecting the oven and hob into this.Probably replacing the 2.5mm2 t&e to the oven with 6.0mm2. This will placeat least 6.0mm2 to the complete circuit and allow the diversity calc to bevalid all the way to the CCU.

The hob requires a flexible high temp (90 deg) cable that I amtrying to source (various threads on this forum relating to the rarity).

Thanks in advance for the help!.

4'0mm will happily take 32A if not in insulating wall.

Thanks for that Telectrix!.
Is there a benefit to linking the existing 2 x 4.0mm between the DP isolator and (Dual) CCU - my reasoning being that this give better flexability in sharing power between the two appliances - or is this just unnecessary?

Reply to Oven & Hob - Again! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net