Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Oven & Hob - Again! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. MikeBa

MikeBa New EF Member

First post on forum, so go easy on me please!.

I am looking to add a hob to an existing installation –details as follows:-
    Existing oven – 3 kW – adding 7 kW hob
    1998 build
    32A MCB type B feeding 6.0mm2 t&e radial circuit about10m length clipped to wall, behind plasterboard connecting to 45A DP isolator with13A plug – above work top – closed to oven/ hob area.
    From DP isolator 2 x 4.5mm2 t&e to under worktop – one to13A unswitched socket supplying the (present) gas hob ignition – the other to45A cooker connection unit.
    From the CCU a 2.5mm2 t&e to oven.

With diversity the proposed addition works – (3000W + 7000W)/240V – 41.7A
    First 10A + 30% remaining + 5A for socket = (41.7A-10A) x .3+ 10A + 5 A = 24.5A < 32 A

My concern is that the 2 x 4.5mm2 from DP isolator and 2.5mm2from CCU are being protected by a 32A MCB – not to regs and one of the 4.5mm2.t&ewould not be sufficient to supply the 7 kW hob.

To correct this I propose linking the 2 x 4.5mm t&e intoa twin CCU (discussed on this forum) and connecting the oven and hob into this.Probably replacing the 2.5mm2 t&e to the oven with 6.0mm2. This will placeat least 6.0mm2 to the complete circuit and allow the diversity calc to bevalid all the way to the CCU.

The hob requires a flexible high temp (90 deg) cable that I amtrying to source (various threads on this forum relating to the rarity).

Thanks in advance for the help!.

2. Amp David

Amp David Trusted Advisor

A 4.5mm cable how that done?

Should also be using 230 volt in your calcs.

3. MikeBa

MikeBa New EF Member

2 x 4.5mm cables out of the DP isolator at present - not up to capacity as 2 x single - OK when linked in parallel?

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    do you mean 4.0mm?

5. MikeBa

MikeBa New EF Member

Sorry - you are correct - i have checked them with a vernnier gauge and the table off the forum - i mean 4.0mm!!.

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    4'0mm will happily take 32A if not in insulating wall.

7. MikeBa

MikeBa New EF Member

Thanks for that Telectrix!.
    Is there a benefit to linking the existing 2 x 4.0mm between the DP isolator and (Dual) CCU - my reasoning being that this give better flexability in sharing power between the two appliances - or is this just unnecessary?