• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Oven switch isolator is missing, C2 on EICR in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm doing remedial work for one property following unsatisfactory EICR to rectify C2 issues.

I'm slightly amused by some quotes left on the report by another electrician.

Here it is

"No accesible isolator switch for oven" C2

I had a look and found that the oven is 13a rated plugged in to a socket behind. You would need to unscrew it and pull it out to see the plug behind. Isolator switch might be handy but should it be classed as C2?

I've spoke to one electrician I know and he said it shouldn't be issued as C2

Any other views are welcome

Thanks

So is this a gas oven with the supply for the clock and igniter only? If so then no code.

Its not the socket in the wrong place, its the unit that the cooker is housed in. So the electrical system is fine and shouldn't be coded.
(unless there are other issues with it)

This implies that if it is not a gas oven it should be coded? If so then what and why?
As I see it the problem is the same regardless of whether it is gas or electric.
You are correct, as usual... Lack of local isolation in domestic would not warrant a code.

If the isolation for an electric oven was inaccessible then possibly a C3 for access for maintenance.

There is no requirement in BS7671 for cookers to be provided with isolation.
There may be a requirement for the circuit to be provided with isolation, which would be at the origin of the circuit.

If the cooker is fed from a dedicated circuit using a 13A plug as means of connection then there would be no valid reason for applying a code.
If the cooker is fed from a RFC, then perhaps a code C3 could be applied as there would be inconvenience in switching off all the other equipment connected to the RFC.

Good working practice, manufacturers may state double pole isolation is required but I’m not sure the regulations state it’s required but then,why would they as it’s quite specific?
I don’t think you can code the lack of isolation Via a separate switch f/s or the like.

This is one of the biggest issues in the regs, there is no practical definition of accessible ....

So is the plug behind the cooker an issue ?

It terms of Electrical safety then no as the circuit supplying the cooker should be able to be isolated by the circuit breaker.
A tad inconvenient if it’s not on its own circuit ( socket off a ring final etc) but if it can be isolated then it removes the danger if required.
Think we would all install a separate switch but in the terms of coming across a circuit without it then I’d ask myself if there’s any danger without one.
I may be incorrect it’s just my view

My daughter switches appliances off.
She doesn’t switch off her fridge freezer or TVs, but she does switch off her gas cooker, microwave, washing machine, shower and kettle.
Bloody annoying if I want a cup of tea.
Not sure why she does this, as I never switch such things off and neither did her mother?
It’s her house she can do what she wants.

My experience is that the majority of people don’t bother routinely switching off appliances.
They only seem to get switched off for maintenance or replacement.
Yes it’s nice to offer the option of local isolation, but if the consumer has no intention of using the isolation, what’s the point?
The Regs don’t require it.
Some BCOs do, even though there’s no requirement in the Building Regs.

She doesn’t switch off her fridge freezer or TVs, but she does switch off her gas cooker, microwave, washing machine, shower and kettle.
Not sure why she does this, as I never switch such things off and neither did her mother?

My experience is that the majority of people don’t bother routinely switching off appliances.
Yes it’s nice to offer the option of local isolation, but if the consumer has no intention of using the isolation, what’s the point?
A fair point

Did you actually just go through every post I've made and rate it dumb. Because I accidently pressed dumb on your post while scrolling down the thread. You strange character. Must be a boring Sunday for you

Reply to Oven switch isolator is missing, C2 on EICR in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net