Discuss Overhead light flashing on and off by itself (not switched on) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tamsin Moore

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, but I have a problem with my hall light switching on and off by itself. It's a ceiling light and it has two switches, however it isn't switched on but is flashing on and off as I said. Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

could be a dodgy switch. try feeling the action as you switch on/off. a dodgy one may seem less positive than a sound switch.

not immediately, but to be certain, get a local electrician round.

Is it a low energy lamp of some sort?

These lamps can flash when they are switched off due to something called capacitive coupling in the cables, this is most likely to occur when there is two way switching.
The simple solution is to change the lamp for a different type.

Then it is as our @telectrix has said a dodgy switch, which will mean calling in an electrician then. As for dangerous, well many fires from electrical source are loose connections. I do not wish to cause unnecessary alarm however...

Is it a low energy lamp of some sort?

These lamps can flash when they are switched off due to something called capacitive coupling in the cables, this is most likely to occur when there is two way switching.
The simple solution is to change the lamp for a different type.

The bulb is an energy saving bulb but it's just a regular light socket.

There could be a range of issues here.
The switches may be faulty or if the bulb is a compact fluorescent or LED and not a normal filament bulb then there could be a voltage induced by the two way switch cable, if this is the case then changing the switching by turning on at one point and off at the other may alter things. Then changing the bulb for a non energy efficient one would solve the induced voltage but not the switch.
There might be a connection occurring between cables in the ceiling rose, but you should hear sparks or smell burning if this were the case, if so then the circuit should be switched off at your fuse box.
An unlikely situation might be that the cable is loose in the supply side and whilst you think the light is off it is actually on and only just making contact at the loose connection, this could be checked by switching a switch and seeing if the light comes on normally.

From your last post try putting a filament bulb in place.

The bulb is an energy saving bulb but it's just a regular light socket.

So the problem is most likely to be what I posted above.
The low energy lamp is flashing due to the effect of capacitive coupling.
Replace the lamp with a different type, such as a filament lamp, and it will stop happening.

For reference what you are referring to as a bulb is a lamp, a bulb is something you plant in the garden.

The switches may be faulty or if the bulb is a compact fluorescent or LED and not a normal filament bulb then there could be a voltage induced by the two way switch cable, if this is the case then changing the switching by turning on at one point and off at the other may alter things. Then changing the bulb for a non energy efficient one would solve the induced voltage but not the switch.
There might be a connection occurring between cables in the ceiling rose, but you should hear sparks or smell burning if this were the case, if so then the circuit should be switched off at your fuse box.
An unlikely situation might be that the cable is loose in the supply side and whilst you think the light is off it is actually on and only just making contact at the loose connection, this could be checked by switching a switch and seeing if the light comes on normally.

There's no burning smell or anything like that and the fuse is still on. When I switch the light on it does still come on normally. I don't have a filament bulb to replace it with at the minute, if it is a problem with the engery saving one.

There's no burning smell or anything like that and the fuse is still on. When I switch the light on it does still come on normally. I don't have a filament bulb to replace it with at the minute, if it is a problem with the engery
So the problem is most likely to be what I posted above.
The low energy lamp is flashing due to the effect of capacitive coupling.
Replace the lamp with a different type, such as a filament lamp, and it will stop happening.

For reference what you are referring to as a bulb is a lamp, a bulb is something you plant in the garden.

Thanks for the correction, as you can probably tell I know nothing about electrics! I don't have a filament lamp to replace with at the moment but thanks for the help.

"For reference what you are referring to as a bulb is a lamp, a bulb is something you plant in the garden."

Try typing 'bulb' into google and see what comes up. To any lay person it's called a light bulb.

Also try typing 'lamp' into google and you will get table lamps........

"For reference what you are referring to as a bulb is a lamp, a bulb is something you plant in the garden."

Try typing 'bulb' into google and see what comes up. To any lay person it's called a light bulb.

Also try typing 'lamp' into google and you will get table lamps........

Typing bulb into google yielded an energy supply company called bulb as the first result.

But this is irrelevant, Google does not dictate the meaning of words or their correct application.

had one recently (in a bathroom) , old batten holder which was arcing from the perm. L to the SW L, this acting as an intermittent switch. customer could, however hear it sparking.

Reply to Overhead light flashing on and off by itself (not switched on) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock