Discuss Overheard in a diy store in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Here's a beauty! I overheard this in a store that sells electrical materials as well as lots of other things (not b&q!!)
Customer to assistant:"Don't I have to notify the council when I do wiring to make sure I've complied with the regulations or something"?
Assistant:"Oh no, that only applies to proffesional electricians, if you are a diy person you can do what you want, otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to sell the wiring materials".
Good stuff eh?

Here's a beauty! I overheard this in a store that sells electrical materials as well as lots of other things (not b&q!!)
Customer to assistant:"Don't I have to notify the council when I do wiring to make sure I've complied with the regulations or something"?
Assistant:"Oh no, that only applies to proffesional electricians, if you are a diy person you can do what you want, otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to sell the wiring materials".
Good stuff eh?

Haha, a lot of stores also got into trouble for not giving correct advice regarding the law when using drones.

Anything to get a sale...

Good stuff eh?

The blind leading the blind.

Many years ago when applying for job as appliance delivery electrician, I was told we fitted plug tops to appliances, this was before they were fitted by manufacturer, I'd never heard of a plug top, it was just a plug.

I see an opportunity there for running seminars regards the law and the customer for the staff £1100 per day! I would contact the manager.
Like, that will never happen, good idea though, always makes me smile, to get an Electrifix account you have to show your qualifications, I realise this gets tradespeople an account with discounts etc, yet Mr and Mrs DIY can go next door to the screwfix bit and buy all the electrical and plumbing stuff you can get in EF.

I suppose as there is nothing to stop shops selling materials, whether for electrical work or even gas installations then there is money to be made on the sales. I can go and buy any part for my car and fit it, I don't have to go to a garage. The problem is when wrong and potentially wrong advice is given. Like with lots of things, you can pay a lot of money to get a professional to do a job, and he makes a right pig's ear if it, whereas some unqualified amateurs do a perfect job. As with wiring, we all know of qualified cowboys, and although many on here won't admit it, there are many unqualified sparks who are capable of doing a job to the regs, but don't want the expense and bother of going through the right channels.

Many years ago when applying for job as appliance delivery electrician, I was told we fitted plug tops to appliances, this was before they were fitted by manufacturer, I'd never heard of a plug top, it was just a plug.
As an apprentice I was taught a plug top is a plug same as lamp or bulb lamp or light fitting a socket can also be known as a power outlet.

Seems standards have gone down since the 80's :p:p:D:D

standards have been going down since well before that.in the 50's we had beautiful brass toggle switches mounted on mahogany bases properly screw fixed to plaster bonded to real clay brick.. now we have plastic crap mounted on plastic crap fitted int gyproc crap stuck on with gooey crap to weetabix blocks.

As an apprentice I was taught a plug top is a plug same as lamp or bulb lamp or light fitting a socket can also be known as a power outlet.

Seems standards have gone down since the 80's :p:p:D:D
My wholesaler calls them plug tops and that's how they appear on my invoice.
A bulb is a lamp,
If your client calls a socket a power outlet then why not?

What on earth has this to do with standards?

One of our engineers used to say you can only get bulbs from garden centres

A daffodil lamp?

The point is words evolve, the bigger point is if you're so smug that you talk down to your clients every time they use diferent (or as you propably think non professionnel) terms, then you propably not as professionnel as you like to think you are.

light bulb
noun
noun: light bulb; plural noun: light bulbs; noun: lightbulb; plural noun: lightbulbs

1. a glass bulb inserted into a lamp or a socket in a ceiling, which provides light by passing an electric current through a filament or a pocket of inert gas.
    "the watchman switched on an electric light bulb"

the word sex has now evolved into gender.

so now it's "do you like gender?".

(dunno about that, but l like a nice goose.)

I do love the convos you hear in the diy stores, its like a snapshot of peoples daily lives..
I have a plumber friend who goes around the diy stores and puts his business card in the showers... he gets maybe 1 or 2 jobs every month from it, nobody has ever moaned about him doing it. He just slides it in the gap on the flap and hopes they call. If hes busy he sends his son out to put them in!
so if you go to a big chain with an orange logo in Bristol, keep an eye out for the business cards!
Its an idea though if you want to generate work by putting your card in all them overpriced lights, cookers and heaters that will confuse the DIY daves of the world.

Reply to Overheard in a diy store in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net