• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss overturned my 2394 decision after put in for a appeal in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

vb6951

done my 2395 back in last October and passed it with no problem. but sat on my 2394 in December and failed. i was 120% sure i would not fail 2394, so decided to put in for a review/appeal. the funny thing was that the training provider tried to convince me not to put in an appeal (indirectly), by keep telling that the procedure takes up to 42 working days, £50 fees and C&G rarely make mistakes, also taking resit would be much better idea and efficient etc. fortunately, i stood on my ground and put in for an appeal. about 4 weeks later, received a letter from C&G says my 2394 decision is overturned to a pass and no fee is required.

personally i think C&G just try to rip people off by failing our exams deliberately (sometimes), so they can charge more money for resit. the whole point im trying to make is, if anyone failed any C&G exams and u feel confidant about it. don't hesitate to put in for an appeal.

good luck:lol:

done my 2395 back in last October and passed it with no problem. but sat on my 2394 in December and failed. i was 120% sure i would not fail 2394, so decided to put in for a review/appeal. the funny thing was that the training provider tried to convince me not to put in an appeal (indirectly), by keep telling that the procedure takes up to 42 working days, £50 fees and C&G rarely make mistakes, also taking resit would be much better idea and efficient etc. fortunately, i stood on my ground and put in for an appeal. about 4 weeks later, received a letter from C&G says my 2394 decision is overturned to a pass and no fee is required.

personally i think C&G just try to rip people off by failing our exams deliberately (sometimes), so they can charge more money for resit. the whole point im trying to make is, if anyone failed any C&G exams and u feel confidant about it. don't hesitate to put in for an appeal.

It's not the C&G that sounds dodgy IMO it's the training provider who tried to stop you appealing the result that needs looking into sounds like they were looking to make some money from a resit

It's not the C&G that sounds dodgy IMO it's the training provider who tried to stop you appealing the result that needs looking into sounds like they were looking to make some money from a resit

In fairness they were probably just rightly suggesting that appeals seldom succeed. This doesn't mean people shouldn't appeal, but that they should understand that there is a very high chance of losing their appeal money.

I also think it's wrong to suggest that an examining body deliberately make mistakes to increase revenue. It is a simple fact of marking exams that there will never be 100% consistency and that mistakes are occasionally made.

All of that said, congratulations to the poster on his well-deserved pass.

agree what u say mate.

but personally i think 2394/2395 are bit dodgy, cos there's no "bench mark" for a pass. i was told once, C&G need to see what is the average scores for a particular set of exam then set up a pass mark, for an example in December test date, if most people scored 70% then C&G will set 75% as pass mark, so every exam has a different pass mark. also we don't get to see our paper, cant tell what question we got wrong. so i think this's wrong. we have the right to see our paper and then decide whether or not go for appeal.

"deliberately fail us" just a personal opinion(bit of exaggerate too). but i believe there are loads people in C&G or training providing company are very irresponsible and careless, so many candidates should have passed but marked as failed. and so many of us just cant be bothered to go through the appeal process, just taking a resit instead which would be much easier.

agree what u say mate.

but personally i think 2394/2395 are bit dodgy, cos there's no "bench mark" for a pass.

Perfectly normal, and all state/university/etc. exams are like that too. The reason is to ensure continuity between marking in different sets of exams. In other words, it is a much fairer way of doing things to ensure that easy or difficult exams do not make it easier or harder to get a certain grade in it. So definitely not a dodgy thing to do - in fact the opposite.

Id ring your provider and ask for a formal detailed explanation as to what had happened then say failure to do so will mean you will ask for an investigation from an independent body .... then sit back and see the panic set in ;)

Well done for appealing and getting a positive outcome. I don't think that the conspiracy with C&G extends to failing papers on purpose though. I know of a lecturer who got offered a job as a C&G marker and turned it down. He said that they can have to mark up to 8 papers an hour to make any money at all. For this reason they look for easy ways to discredit a paper, such as a wrong answer on a fundamental topic, so they can move on to the next one.
I have always been taught that passing a C&G exam is down to knowing what C&G want and expect from you. People with all the knowledge sometimes fail because they don't understand the way the questions are asked, which is often indirectly and convoluted.

Just out of curiosity what was your exam percentage of correct answers? I'm appealing with c&g at the mo with regards to 2377 I got 73% but still failed. I've just sat 17th and passed with 71%. Something doesn't seem quite right with those percentages in my mind.

In fairness they were probably just rightly suggesting that appeals seldom succeed. This doesn't mean people shouldn't appeal, but that they should understand that there is a very high chance of losing their appeal money.

I also think it's wrong to suggest that an examining body deliberately make mistakes to increase revenue. It is a simple fact of marking exams that there will never be 100% consistency and that mistakes are occasionally made.

All of that said, congratulations to the poster on his well-deserved pass.
and how would they know if they keep encouraging candidates to just shut up n pay up...

dont forget these same short course providers have 5 week crap on their sillabus....

still think they are playin "all fair"?

as robert the bruce said"if you don,t succeed try try try again"
just try again i,m sure they are very nice honest people
in no time youll be an expert:28:

and how would they know if they keep encouraging candidates to just shut up n pay up...

Nothing wrong with appealing. Just saying that they shouldn't encourage everyone to appeal in the misguided belief that they are likely to succeed.

But if a student is adamant that their paper has been marked unfairly then they should appeal and find out one way or the other.

Sounded to me like the training provider had some other motive in deterring the OP from appealing the result

I never suggested that C&G use it to increase revenue the OP did. I do think the training provider had some hand in this though as no doubt with a resit they would have sold some extra tuition to ensure a pass

Sounded to me like the training provider had some other motive in deterring the OP from appealing the result

I never suggested that C&G use it to increase revenue the OP did. I do think the training provider had some hand in this though as no doubt with a resit they would have sold some extra tuition to ensure a pass
yeah...its a racket...

Lots of speculation going on here!
I suspect Risteard is right in thinking that C&G pass a fixed %age of candidates each time, a floating pass mark as opposed to a fixed one.
Having done countless exams over the years, you know whether you've passed or not!

Nothing wrong with appealing. Just saying that they shouldn't encourage everyone to appeal in the misguided belief that they are likely to succeed.

But if a student is adamant that their paper has been marked unfairly then they should appeal and find out one way or the other.

Not sure your reading the same OP as me his training provider offer NO encouragement for him to appeal in fact it sounds like they were totally against an appeal I wonder why that would be

It would depend on the distribution of results and the level of the questions.
the level of questions should be consistant..

and in fact (from my experiences with the old 2391 papers)..they are all variations on a theme....

if you know your onions around the flukes then you really should be passing this...

shame on the so called `training centres`..for just allowing all n sundry on...without any vetting to ensure candidates have any real chance of passing (at that time in their development)...shame on them....

Reply to overturned my 2394 decision after put in for a appeal in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back