Discuss Ovo won't Fit a Smart Meter. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Santa

-
Reaction score
My daughter wanted a smart meter but when the fitter came he said he couldn't fit it because "the meter is on the same board as the CU".

I don't have a picture and she lives 120 miles away, but I do know that it is all in her understairs cupboard.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Some suppliers insist that only their equipment (i.e. Meter, supply fuse) are fitted on the back board that they have supplied.
Usually the back board is marked "suppliers equipment only".
If that is the case, the electrician should not have fitted it there.

No replies yet that are actually helpful then.

I have a smart meter and it is fine.

Whoever originally wired the house before they bought it did the job. My question is - Should she be concerned that the CU and the meter (and presumably the main fuze) are on the same back board. TBH - I thought that was how they were usually fitted.

Thanks guys - confirms my own thoughts. The cupboard is fairly small and most likely added after the meter was fitted. My guess was that he just didn't fancy the job - maybe was running late, and used it as an excuse.

anyone who needs a smart meter to communicate his/her electric usage to his/her supplier when we have telephones/email/internet needs to do a course in communications. i think talkskills4U do one. it's 5 weeks and at the end of it you can talk the arse off a donkey.

That's true - when I looked at renewal, I found that some suppliers would not be able to use the smart meter. Ovo were the cheapest anyway so it didn't matter.

I have been doing it on t'interweb for years with BG, but the meter is in the garage and I forgot sometimes. Hey Ho - gotta keep up with the technology.

She has had a birthday...don't bother with it.

Anyone thinking that these devices are in the slightest part,primarily for the benefit of the user,need to research how effective the "pattern spend lifestyle" software is,when applied to a persons use of Google,ebay,etc.

The "real-time" information that these things send,24/7,is priceless,to the relevant recipients.

I'd sooner have a mixer full of marbles,under the stairs,with the switch jammed on...

I have to admit that the campaign to convince people to have these toys fitted has been pretty successful
Convincing people to somehow believe its for their benefit;)

Customers actually asking for the toys to be fitted,it shows how successful that deceit has been:D

I have to admit that the campaign to convince people to have these toys fitted has been pretty successful
Convincing people to somehow believe its for their benefit;)

Customers actually asking for the toys to be fitted,it shows how successful that deceit has been:D
strange similarity to the labour party's manifesto. :(

Reply to Ovo won't Fit a Smart Meter. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock