Discuss P.A.T Testing Bodies? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

P.W.L

Hi all this is my first post as a new member so please bare with me! ;)

I recently turned self employed as a PAT Tester and i was after a little advice.
I have my C&G 2377 but i was wondering is there any registered bodies out there for PAT Testing or are there any recommendations for me as a new set up to try and help me break the market? Safe Contractor? etc.

I get the feeling that i'll never be able to contend with the 'big boys' with just a C&G?

Hope you guys don't mind helping.

Regards Phil

i think there is registered scheme with niceic which will look good when quoting for big jobs if you get the chance, want the chance , but as far as i know its around £400, loads will say you dont need it tho, just the public indemity insurance.... and test gear and off you go.... i know here in n.ireland most sparks just do it .. as an extra

I believe most of the main bodies have a scheme even if its not clearly advertised on their website niceic napit select and more recently bapat.
Ihave been looing at this for a while but in the current economic climate i wonder if the fairly significant fees involved are worth it for a solo/two man biz.

thats it like, but you could do with a 3man team if you work hard to find the work 72-van, my woman wants to move back to scotland ... i tell her naww no work, but soon she ill just go thn il have to follow../..

I=p/u ireland must be better than scotland at the moment the whole countries in a mess .
One other advantage you have is the guinness is better :)

If you come over and your in fife i will buy the first round :)

cheers

It's really made me wonder if many people take notice of the bodies as such or if they look at the price of a job rather than whats on offer.

I tend to get a fair few enquiries from hair salons etc but the chances of still having the job the following year seem to be slim unless it was a chain of salons.

money talks lad.. and in this case they deffo go for cheapest quote in they no nothing about it and just want the test rsult schedule.. to prove they have done their bit to protect there staff if an accident was to happen...

one guniness now would be lovely, i dont drink that much as too busy with family and work.. but just one now would be sweet!!!!!! is scotland that bad, i moved to edinburgh for a week , then came back.. was always thinking of trying to get job on rigs someday up in aberdeen.... is that all bad news too..

It's really made me wonder if many people take notice of the bodies as such or if they look at the price of a job rather than whats on offer.

I tend to get a fair few enquiries from hair salons etc but the chances of still having the job the following year seem to be slim unless it was a chain of salons.

Your in a line of work where unfortunately quantity has most often replaced the quality.
My advise would be to believe in your service, it is your product at the end of the day. Create a smart image that you believe represents your brand and get it printed off so it can be distributed (by yourself locally is quite personal and productive IMO).
More importantly, revise your 'spiel'. If you are asked any question or for any advisory information, be confident in yourself (and hopefully accurate).
Introduce yourself to the local companies, create if necessary a special introductory offer.
Then store on your own created database (or a diary) dates of the next due test. Call the client up a month prior to remind them of your services and illustrate how you could help them.

one guy told me he needs his pat tester to be niceic, i said doesnt count, but does an approved contractors membership cover this?? pat testing

one guy told me he needs his pat tester to be niceic, i said doesnt count, but does an approved contractors membership cover this?? pat testing

I think you will find that all the regulating bodies will accept any company as a PAT testing company. I think they charge more if the contractor is only joining them as a PAT testing company. ie they only do PAT testing. They don't do electrical installation, they don't do part p or anything else.

There are alot of companies that have jumped on the health and safety band wagon and go into large organisations just doing PAT testing.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's another one of our trade which is being taken away from us. A bit like structured wiring, CCTV, Containment "engineers" etc

. I think they charge more if the contractor is only joining them as a PAT testing company. ie they only do PAT testing. .

Nothing wrong with that, but it's another one of our trade which is being taken away from us. A bit like structured wiring, CCTV, Containment "engineers" etc

Last time i checked the the bodies offered pat only slightly cheaper than "full" membership.
They will put approved sparks on there pat register i guess they will ave to provide evidence in the same fashion they do with the part p / full scope stuff.

The bapat bady is solely for pat.

I got into pat testing when my employer at the time decided to train us to do the testing with the approprriate tools exclusively for IT equipment .

Anecodotally they were fed up replacing Pc's when sparks were doing a job that they didnt want to be doing .
in defence of the sparks many of my It colleagues didnt want to do it either .

Your in a line of work where unfortunately quantity has most often replaced the quality.
My advise would be to believe in your service, it is your product at the end of the day. Create a smart image that you believe represents your brand and get it printed off so it can be distributed (by yourself locally is quite personal and productive IMO).
More importantly, revise your 'spiel'. If you are asked any question or for any advisory information, be confident in yourself (and hopefully accurate).
Introduce yourself to the local companies, create if necessary a special introductory offer.
Then store on your own created database (or a diary) dates of the next due test. Call the client up a month prior to remind them of your services and illustrate how you could help them.

I have a customer database in place which created on spreadsheets but the problem i seem to be having of late is getting through to 'potential customers'.

I know that cheapest isn't always the best so i try and find out what they currently get charged then offer the same service at a low price but its hard to break the trust. I have tried on a few occasions to secure a chain of businesses but its seem i don't even get a thought so i thought this maybe down to lack of accreditation.

.. was always thinking of trying to get job on rigs someday up in aberdeen.... is that all bad news too..

Aberdeen has its own micro economy but i here thats not doing so well at the moment either .A few months back I did hear a retired spark i know talking about being offered work up at the sullom voe oil terminal where they are doing a major build likely to go on for a while.

total trade services, seemed cheap and the only one i approcahed , i aint taken them up on there offer yet as i aint sure its the cover i want, need to get somone too proof read a nd see if im missing any thing on contract

Reply to P.A.T Testing Bodies? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net