Discuss Packing it in, domestic installer to indesit in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

well I've been a sparky for 20+ years and work for myself for 9ish years. But due to loss of monies from builders and lack of work of late I'm looking to do something else, I applied for a field engineer with indesit , as was wondering what question they would ask in the interview, I'm not to hot on white goods technically but a quick learner.

also is there any good site anyone knows of for maintenance and fixing these things.

any feed back on making this jump(very used to working flexy hours so wondering if I would adjust lol).

cheers grand

Probably not much to it nowadays.Change the control module or motor or scrap it.I don't suppose anyone changes bearings now.I used to do a lot of that,changing washing machine drum bearings and things.Then the under ÂŁ200 machine came along and it all flopped.

go for it mate, after you learn the trade its nice and easy job, there is limited amount of faults those things get, no need for lifting floorboards and carpets makes it easy. having a supply of spare parts and proper service manuals is good too. have a look on http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums.html too.

Thanks Amlu, yeah 43 now , in a loft before crimbo knelt on a nail / then this week went though hot water pipe in lady bedroom water everywhere( lady was so good about it saying these things happen dont worry), just thought F**k it got to get out of this game.

You should be fine for white goods repairs, the most important thing in this game is earth continuity test and insulation testing on what ever appliances that you are working on.
Just remember to test before working on it and test after you have done the job.

Have a look on youtube for washing machine repairs, there you will see most of the jobs that you will come across and they even show you how to repair them.;)

Have a look on youtube for washing machine repairs, there you will see most of the jobs that you will come across and they even show you how to repair them.;)

Brilliant!!!

Who needs to pay to go to college or where ever any more, learn it all from Youtube.
Oi Clancy, don't miss out on this opportunity! :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Grandfortune

good effort its hard work getting any job at the moment so fair play.

I'm a similar age and the thought of having to try and get a (proper) job scares me

yeah it scares me to, its not a scenario im used to, but with a 8 yr old and a 3 yr old ive got to pay bills, loved and hated my job , mostly loved, but times are a changing. im dumbing down a bit but hopefully will adapt.

Cheers
Grand

when pcb's go, it seems cost to replace is close to that of new machine so people scrap them. these 'scrap' machines, with a little electronics knowledge, could be repaired for (parts only) next to nothing. it seems nothing is 'worth' fixing these days, unless covered by extortionate extended warranties that pick up the tab! probably not a bad area to move to!

Congratulations on getting the job, I hope it works out well for you.

when pcb's go, it seems cost to replace is close to that of new machine so people scrap them. these 'scrap' machines, with a little electronics knowledge, could be repaired for (parts only) next to nothing. it seems nothing is 'worth' fixing these days, unless covered by extortionate extended warranties that pick up the tab! probably not a bad area to move to!

repaired out hotpoint. hotpoint wanted ÂŁ200+ for a new circuit board and call-out. i took the board out and found a SCR gone short=circuit. replacement part was ÂŁ1.50 and took 20mins to solder in. sorted and mrs. well chuffed.

Reply to Packing it in, domestic installer to indesit in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock