Discuss Painted spot lights AFTER A RE WIRE in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all,

I re visited a house today to do some extras after a re wire and the guy who has done the paint job has pulled my spot lights out and painted the can of the spot light. What I need to know is will all this be safe as currently I have 5w led bright white bulbs in but if anyone was to change for a normal non led build this WOULD GET HOT.

So would this be OK if the can of the spot light was painted (spayed all over)

Cheers.

cant see an issue with 5w led down lights, try a new build where half cut tony slaps his roller over every accessory and cable in sight.

cant see an issue with 5w led down lights, try a new build where half cut tony slaps his roller over every accessory and cable in sight.

I have just had the pleasure of rectifying such an affair,in a property i own...if i had started in the dark,with a 24" roller,and a balaclava on,back to front...it could not have been worse.

Windows,fittings,switches...the lot. Tenant must have hired Freddie Kruger.

i think you are worrying too much. stick a note on the CU stating that only LED lamps should be used in downlights if it makes you feel better.

Painting the outside of the lamp would make for an interesting discussion if a warranty claim comes along. Maybe inform owner they've been painted and that may affect manufacturers warranty, should the need arise in future. As Tel has said, no effect likely with LED :)

To simplify the situation,the discussion should be between the property owner,and the painter. He most likely will not be in a position to advise,so the owner asks the spark (OP),he says he will contact the manufacturer to ask if they can be painted,they will say "no",and it is back to the first two,to decide a course of action.

It is a little circle of foibles,which will be copied a hundred times,all round the country,between sparks/painters/plasterers/insulators etc :rolleyes:

Emulsion paint is not flammable at the sort of temperatures the can will experience. Without looking into it I don't think it would give of any toxic fumes either. The main concern would be that the warranty of the fitting could be affected. In addition to the advice offered thus far, if you have real concerns, I would advise the client of this and maybe include a disclaimer to protect yourself in the unlikely event something untoward was to happen.

Reply to Painted spot lights AFTER A RE WIRE in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock