Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Painted spot lights AFTER A RE WIRE in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. chris butterfield

chris butterfield Cecochris

Hello all,

I re visited a house today to do some extras after a re wire and the guy who has done the paint job has pulled my spot lights out and painted the can of the spot light. What I need to know is will all this be safe as currently I have 5w led bright white bulbs in but if anyone was to change for a normal non led build this WOULD GET HOT.

So would this be OK if the can of the spot light was painted (spayed all over)

Cheers.

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Is it emulsion.

3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

tip for you . leave fittings down .bulbs out. cover fitting with freezer bags .
    no paint on any thing .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

cant see an issue with 5w led down lights, try a new build where half cut tony slaps his roller over every accessory and cable in sight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I have just had the pleasure of rectifying such an affair,in a property i own...if i had started in the dark,with a 24" roller,and a balaclava on,back to front...it could not have been worse.

Windows,fittings,switches...the lot. Tenant must have hired Freddie Kruger.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. chris butterfield

Yes its emulsion

7. chris butterfield

Chaps,

What the problem is, will these spot lights (cans) not be under a guarantee now as they have effectively been damaged by this spray paint and could it have a effect on them if they are to have 50w GU10s in and not LED ?

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i think you are worrying too much. stick a note on the CU stating that only LED lamps should be used in downlights if it makes you feel better.

9. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Painting the outside of the lamp would make for an interesting discussion if a warranty claim comes along. Maybe inform owner they've been painted and that may affect manufacturers warranty, should the need arise in future. As Tel has said, no effect likely with LED :)

10. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Emulsion will have no effect.

11. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

To simplify the situation,the discussion should be between the property owner,and the painter. He most likely will not be in a position to advise,so the owner asks the spark (OP),he says he will contact the manufacturer to ask if they can be painted,they will say "no",and it is back to the first two,to decide a course of action.

It is a little circle of foibles,which will be copied a hundred times,all round the country,between sparks/painters/plasterers/insulators etc :rolleyes:

12. David M

David M I'm often blinded by simplicity Electrician's Arms

Emulsion paint is not flammable at the sort of temperatures the can will experience. Without looking into it I don't think it would give of any toxic fumes either. The main concern would be that the warranty of the fitting could be affected. In addition to the advice offered thus far, if you have real concerns, I would advise the client of this and maybe include a disclaimer to protect yourself in the unlikely event something untoward was to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. chris butterfield

Hello,

I contacted the landlord and he said HE WOULD TAKE A RISK of no guarantee. This i looked into and yes supplier will not issue one.

So I'm going to put it on the test sheet on a note stating this.

Thanks for the help chaps :)