Discuss Panasonic fv-08vk1 help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

New poster here after some advice. I consider myself quite the skilled woodworker but have zero expierience of electricals

I bought a Panasonic whisper fan from the US hoping to hook it up to my bathroom ceiling as I've heard great things from across the pond. It's come as expected but when I opened up the junction box it dawned on me that I should get some advice.

I can fix it in place easy enough but as I don't really have any expierience in electricals

I am wondering if it is
A) Possible to wire this to fit a UK Plug
B) something an amateur could learn to do safely

Sorry if this is a very simple question, I don't have alot of time to do the research and really gain a solid understanding of the complexity and principles of electrical engineering at the moment. I've attached 2 pictures of the junction box and the wires coming out. I've also attached a manual for the form. Any help would be appreciated. ThanksIMG_20181119_194432.jpg

IMG_20181119_194442.jpg

Attachments

• 36250_PROD_FILE (1).pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
If you have the 120v version which they appear to be that will not function in the UK without a voltage converter.

Thanks for the speedy reply mate. It is the 80cfm version which is 120.

I suspected that I wouldn't be able to use it from box. Are voltage converters difficult to sort out and do you think I would be able to get this hooked up and suitable for an extension cord without any safety issues?

Space isn't a concern as it will come from the loft.

An additional problem is it is designed to run on a 120v 60hz supply, generally a converter you use will put out 120v 50hz in this country which means it will run slower which could lead to overheating issues. You can get converters which change voltage and frequency but these would not be cost effective.

Was looking on a forum from the US and they where raving about them. Should have done my research as I just ended up ordering it from ebay.

Regarding the bathroom, it's a large walk in shower room/steam area which was built next to my bedroom as part of an extension following the sale of my business. The vent fitted originally by the contractor was loud and I'm very noise sensitive and it is driving me nuts but any quieter fans I've tested don't do the job.

There's a good chance your fan will be fine with a voltage converter, westward10 makes a good point about the supply frequency, most fans would run slow but yours has a DC motor so it probably won't be affected by 50Hz mains.

The fan only uses 12W so finding a 240/120 transformer that isn't massive overkill may be a problem. I'd suggest using an isolating transformer for added safety, it's designed to be hard wired and a properly sized earth wire is essential.

One to bear in mind is that the fan has no CE certification so as 'the importer' you are personally liable for ensuring that it meets a raft of EU standards. Unlikely to be a problem in practice but you should be aware of the legal situation.

There's a good chance your fan will be fine with a voltage converter, westward10 makes a good point about the supply frequency, most fans would run slow but yours has a DC motor so it probably won't be affected by 50Hz mains.

The fan only uses 12W so finding a 240/120 transformer that isn't massive overkill may be a problem. I'd suggest using an isolating transformer for added safety, it's designed to be hard wired and a properly sized earth wire is essential.

One to bear in mind is that the fan has no CE certification so as 'the importer' you are personally liable for ensuring that it meets a raft of EU standards. Unlikely to be a problem in practice but you should be aware of the legal situation.

Can you give me an example of the operation wired. For example what convertor would work and be the least work in terms of wiring.

Thanks

Don't want to seem unhelpful but this needs some care. You only need 100mA of 120V so almost any small transformer would do, this for example, but there are legal and technical issues that need an electrician to sort out first-hand.

That transformer is an auto-transformer so there's no mains isolation, you probably want to run the fan from the lighting circuit so it comes on with the lights. Bathroom wiring is tightly regulated, although you propose to put it in an attic space which should ease matters, it would be good to have an electrician confirm the setup. I expect your electrician would be fine with you fitting the hardware but would want to do the wiring.

To be legal the installation would need an MWC. An electrician could do all this with little fuss but I wouldn't want to put you at risk by biting off too much.

Thank you for the advice on the matter. Think I'll get someone qualified in and just work a few extra shifts in the time I would spend fiddling with it to cover the costs.
You're welcome, I didn't want to sound unduly negative but although it looks like a small job there are so many ways it could go wrong it would be safest for someone qualified, to give you a hand.

Reply to Panasonic fv-08vk1 help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net