Discuss Panel cleaning in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Essex parky

hi all, ive been doing a little research on pv systems, as my parents are thinking about having a set up on their home. im only in the starting stages of looking at this so please bear with me.
i relaise there is an optimum angle for the panels to sit to catch the sun but avoid dust issues, but when it comes to cleaning (birds mess etc) is there anything to avoid or would hosing it off with a window cleaners pole be ok?
thanks

Buy solar panels with an anti-reflective, hydrophobic layer (water repellant) which improves light absorbption and reduces surface dust.
Solar panels mounted at 5 Degrees, tend to need cleaning two or three times per year.
Solar Panels mounted at > 30 Degrees, with hydrophobic layers probably need cleaning once or twice per year.
Put 10ml of Fairy liquid in a spray bottle with a little lemon juice, white vinegar and water to make an effective low acidity cleaning solution.
This solution is excellent at cleaning solar panels and glass windows.
Make sure you wash off any residue after cleaning.
I use a squeegy on a wooden pole, to remove excess water from the panels.
Make sure you follow "Elf and Safety" when cleaning at height.

:15:

Last edited:
Use de-ionised water as all good windows cleaners do, else you'll leave a residue when you wash them, that's why you don't get smears on commercially cleaned windows.

DO NOT use washing up liquid or vinegar etc. (lemon juice, vinegar are mild acids)

We offer a panel cleaning service to all our commercial installs.

On an open forum :) ?? !!

Think about it, roof access / fall protection, either you'll need a cherry picker and an IPAF licence as well as rope access training plus fall restraint procedures, plus investing about £5k in the proper equipment just to clean the panels - The answer is it isn't cheap. however the performance benefits pay for it.

Cleaning agents with low concentrations of fairy liquid, lemon juice and white vinegar are very effective mildly acidic cleaning solutions.
Concentrations of a properly mixed solution are too low to do any harm to the panels / metallic frames.
Properly rinse with rainwater to prevent smearing / remove any residue.
Individuals that lack common sense or any chemical experience should refrain from using the above and follow Worcesters advice.

Last edited:
On an open forum :) ?? !!

Think about it, roof access / fall protection, either you'll need a cherry picker and an IPAF licence as well as rope access training plus fall restraint procedures, plus investing about £5k in the proper equipment just to clean the panels - The answer is it isn't cheap. however the performance benefits pay for it.

Reason I asked is that I have two 12m cherry pickers

Looking to sell one? :) We hire them in regularly at the moment - PM me ...

Just like this seen in Leicester on Wednesday then :)
IMG_1014-bird.JPG

See the new post ... one street in Leicester :)

Reply to Panel cleaning in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net