Discuss Panel warranties in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just been thinking.. With all the panels out there now, with the differing warranties if a panel was to break down with its ten year warranty and you get the call, how do you go about getting it repleaced, by the wholesaler? or direct to the manufacturer?

Don't call the manufacturer with the way things are going in ten years time they'll all be bankrupt

Many a true word is said in jest.

Apart from Sanyo/Panasonic, I doubt whether many of the existing companies will survive.
I understand that some companies outsource "insurance" to cover warranties on their panels. But as for whether that insurance will be honoured is anyone's guess with the fragile state of the world economy and the financial system.

The Kinve panels on my roof claim:

"Worldwide Product Liability Insurance
covered by Zurich Insurance

25 years Product Performance Insurance
covered by Zurich Insurance
covered by MunichRE

That's only performance, I'm a jetion fan. 12 yr product warranty !

The increase in performance in the next ten years would mean if you have to replace you probably won't need as many.

That's only performance, I'm a jetion fan. 12 yr product warranty !

The increase in performance in the next ten years would mean if you have to replace you probably won't need as many.

Yes, like many consumer electronics, I expect the cost of solar to gradually decline - although perhaps in fits and starts.
Even if costs don't decline, I would expect technology and efficiency to improve, which would offer more performance for the same price, therefore bringing down the cost per kWp installed.

In ten years time, if my panels need replacing, I might be able to get Sanyo at today's Kinve prices (i.e. half or less; retailing for £200 each instead of £400 each) in which case I would not have lost out compared to fitting Sanyo right from the start, at what would have been a cost of around £12k.

ps finchy - you have an email. :17:

Reply to Panel warranties in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net