Discuss parallel cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

keith@kbw

can any help me, i need to install 200amp three phase supply at 135m long, i wish to run two smaller cable insted of one large size cable, so can any one tell how to calculate for parallel cables supply.:confused:

we are supplying a water teatment plant, which needs 120amps 3 phase+N and we have to run parallel cable plus earth cable, what i am looking for is formulas to calaculate cables sizes.

for your 200amp supply

185mm 4 core will be fine....(thats in the ground)
150mm 4core on tray (perforated)

hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you all your help, but can one help me with the formulas and calulations ?

Max demand and diversity along with possibly power factor correction to be considered, The link below could prove usefull to you hope it helps. :)

cablecalculation

Also appendix 4 of the big red book will give you all you need with regards to calcs rating factors ect.

I would think a 185mm is a bit over and without checking would have thought a 4c 120mm
would be ok or 2x 4c 70mm in parallel also i believe cables in a trench underground benifit from the natural cooling of the soil
yours benji

Do you have all the details of equipment you are connecting? Supply over 100A really should take into account Xl and Xc so a bit of j notation might be required. As for the two cables thing if your calcs ask for a 400mm2 cable for example and you want to use two for ease of installation just use 2 x 200mm2.

400mm? have you ever pulled a 400mm 4c ,i,ve pulled 300mm 4c & singles upto 1000mm
but your talking high current way above the 120a that started this thread .My college days
are long gone but i still reckon 2x 70mm 4c will do it.
But back to the original thread it doesn,t give you a clue as to how the cables could be installed so you don,t know what the correct factor to apply so more info needed

yours benji

sorry 120a should read 200a but still reckon 2x704c

benji

Last edited:
400mm? have you ever pulled a 400mm 4c ,i,ve pulled 300mm 4c & singles upto 1000mm
but your talking high current way above the 120a that started this thread .My college days
are long gone but i still reckon 2x 70mm 4c will do it.
But back to the original thread it doesn,t give you a clue as to how the cables could be installed so you don,t know what the correct factor to apply so more info needed

yours benji

sorry 120a should read 200a but still reckon 2x704c

benji

No no, i was just using the size as an example and showing to divide the CSA by two for the correct cable size.

Reply to parallel cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock